Panama: Boquete

Submitted by Umma Fatema on the 2017 winter session program in Panama sponsored by the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures…

So far, Panama has been the greatest experience of my life. Last week, I went to the small town of Boquete to stay during the weekend. I was able to hike the Volcano Baru which is the highest point in Panama. This volcano is a major tourist site that is very popular with people from all over the world. Although the hike was extremely difficult and took a total of eleven hours, the view from the top was absolutely worth it. I met people from many different countries. We talked about our respective countries, Panama and many other topics. I think my knowledge about the world in general has increased because I was able to interact with people from so many different cultures.

I also went on a coffee tour which really made me appreciate the farmers who grow the coffee that many of us desperately depend on. The process is very complex and takes a great amount of time to produce good coffee. I was glad I was able to learn about it. I also visited the local artisan market where handmade products are sold by the Ngobe Indians from the Chiriqui Region. I got to know them and their arts. One lady even gifted me a handmade bracelet! I was astounded by the generosity of the people in Boquete and would definitely like to visit there again if I ever go back to Panama.