Making Friends in Munich, Germany

Submitted by Olivia Toth on the 2016 fall semester study abroad program in Paris, France…

This week, my friends and I traveled to Munich, Germany to get a little taste of German culture.  We attended Oktoberfest which was a great glimpse into a very important and historic German tradition.  While Oktoberfest was an amazing time, we also made a new friend on the way over.  His name was Martin, and while he himself wasn’t a native to Munich, we toured the city with a few of his friends that were, and had some amazing food which I would not find in France, or my own country.  It was interesting to see the city guided by people that really live there.  My favorite place we visited was the English Garden.  I’ve never seen a park like this in America.  People were swimming in a man made river and surfing in an area with a high current.  Martin and his friends jumped into the river and took a swim, something I don’t think I’d ever see in America.  It was a beautiful trip and I’m so glad we got to meet Martin and his friends from Germany.english-garden-munich-olivia-toth-16f-paris-france-small