Coursework in Copenhagen

Submitted by Mallory Smith on the 2014  fall semester DIS (Denmark’s International Study Program) program in Copenhagen, Denmark…

The past few weeks have been incredibly hectic! They consisted of a long and hard mid-terms week, followed by ten days of exploring Italy and Greece with my brother!This past week has been spent working on different class projects-all of which are incredibly interesting.

For my Scandinavian Classical Music Class, we were taken to a symphony at a beautiful concert hall and had to write an essay relating the intention of the composer and the different musical intonations used in the pieces. It was very cool being able to hear live the works of composers whom we had been learning about for the last two months.

In my Women Art and Identity class, we had a video/film artist come and present some of her work and explain her thoughts behind their creation. The ideas, motivations, and inspirations associated with her work were both interesting and thought provoking which led to a great discussion with the artist and the class at the end of the presentation.

For my public Health class, I am working on a project where we have to interview a Danish health organization and create a research paper regarding the organization and the services they provide. I am working with an organization, when translated, called The Healthy Cities Network. This Network has many subnetworks that work towards creating the healthiest version of Denmark possible! The project the organization is currently most passionate about happens to be Health in All Policies, a topic I helped a professor research this past summer. It was amazing see it applied and implemented so well!