Purchase or Lease of Copying Machines
|Section:||Financial & Business Policies|
|Policy Name:||Purchase or Lease of Copying Machines|
|Policy Owner:||Executive Vice President|
|Responsible University Office:||Office of the Vice President For Finance and Deputy Treasurer|
|Origination Date:||February 1, 1980|
|Revisions:||March 1998; July 1, 2005|
|Legacy Policy Number:||5-17|
- PURPOSETo establish guidelines and procedures for the acquisition of copying machines by purchase or rental.
- POLICYThe University has established and maintained the Graphic Communications Center and its “Quick Copy Service” in order to meet multiple copy needs in a timely fashion at the lowest unit cost per copy. It is recognized, however, that individual offices and departments may require small copying machines for the immediate reproduction of a small number of copies, or that when a number of departments occupying a single building can share a single unit, a medium-sized copier may be installed to meet this need for a few copies within a short time frame.
Unless there are unusual time constraints, it is expected that when the number of reproductions exceeds eight to ten copies the “Quick Copy Service” will be utilized. Therefore copying equipment which is approved for departmental lease or purchase will be limited to smaller, basic units designed for limited copying.
The Director of Supporting Services will be responsible for the review and approval of requests to lease or purchase copying equipment. Decisions to approve or disapprove such requests will consider the following:
- Availability and accessibility of other copier equipment within the building.
- Intended use of the equipment (instructional, administrative, etc.)
- The model and size of the equipment necessary for the area.
- Number of employees that will have access to the unit and whether access can be controlled.
- The proposed location of the equipment.
- Projected average number of copies per month.
- Analysis and comparison of costs.
- Need for book copying, transparencies, etc.
- Whether the area is air-conditioned.
- If replacement equipment, the make and model of equipment presently in use by the department and information on what the plans are for the old copier.
- If replacement, cost of existing equipment for the last six months.
- PROCEDURERequests for approval to acquire copier equipment must be submitted in writing to the Director of Supporting Services. In addition to justification for the request, the department should indicate whether it proposes to lease or purchase this equipment.
The Director of Supporting Services will review each request. This evaluation may include a projection and comparison of cost per copy based on number of click charges, rental or lease/purchase rate, maintenance costs, paper costs, and supply costs.
The Director of Supporting Services will advise the requesting department of approval or disapproval of the proposal. Decisions of the Director may be appealed to the Associate Vice President for Administrative Services. If approval is granted, the department should then submit an electronic Requisition/Vendor Payment Request. If the department wants to acquire the equipment on a lease-to-own basis, they should contact Supporting Services.
In order to carry out responsibility for evaluation of copier requests, the Supporting Services Department will:
- Periodically review copier machines that are available and make comparisons with cost, service, and other factors.
- Negotiate with vendors, in conjunction with Procurement Services, to obtain comparable data and best price.
- Determine the size or model of copier that is most practical for each application.
- Develop cost analysis data to determine if copier should be leased or purchased.