Genomics Research Specialist (Position Filled)
Posted March 2019
Context of the Position: Effective immediately, the Wisser molecular laboratory at the Delaware Biotechnology Institute (https://www.dbi.udel.edu/) in the Department of Plant and Soil Sciences (https://canr.udel.edu/plsc/) is seeking a motivated, well-organized individual to lead a project-focused effort on genomic data production and curation. The successful candidate will support a multi-institutional project to investigate the genomic basis of phenotypic evolution and a novel predictive breeding approach for harnessing diversity in crops to mitigate the impacts of climate change.
This limited term position focused on genomic data production and curation is ideal for someone in transition who is looking to apply and hone their skills in genomics while gaining experience in plant science.
- Perform activities in a team setting under limited supervision.
- Implement new and established protocols for genome size estimation, genotyping, and sequencing.
- Participate in field experiments used for genomic investigation.
- Coordinate activities with project personnel at two institutes to facilitate sample collection and curation.
- Establish quality-controlled workflows for efficient sample processing and data generation for thousands of samples.
- Take part in laboratory management activities such as ordering supplies, inventorying chemicals and other laboratory resources, etc.
Qualifications: Demonstrated mastery of molecular biology or genomics is required (M.S. degree or at least two years of technical experience). Computational experience is desirable for data curation. Prior experience working on the genetics or genomics of plants is preferred but not required.
To apply: Send a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to Allison Conner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will take place March 19. Additional applications may be considered until March 29 unless a successful candidate has already been identified.