EMPLOYEE FITNESS CENTER REMAINS CLOSED
The Employee Fitness Center is closed until further noticed. Employees may use the Student Fitness Center inside the Carpenter Sports Building starting August 31. More information about hours, reservations, procedures, and programs can be found on Recreation’s COVID FAQ’s and Resources Page.
Employee Fitness Center (EFC)
University employees, retirees, and their spouses have access to the employee-only fitness center, located at 127 Carpenter Sports Building. This two-story facility overlooking our basketball gyms features cardio and strength training equipment including free weights, wide variety of selectorized machines, cable machine, treadmills, cross-trainers, bikes, rowers, and more!
Directions & Parking
The Carpenter Sports Building is located at 26 N. College Ave, Newark, DE 19716 at the north end of campus between Main Street and Cleveland Avenue. From North College Avenue, enter the parking lot and proceed around Mechanical Hall to main entrance of building.
To find Employee Fitness Center, walk down long hallway and turn right down a small hallway across from the pool. It is located in between Basketball Gym #1 and #2.
Lots 20 and 19 are Gray North UD permit holders only between 7am-5pm Monday-Friday. From 5pm-7am Monday-Friday and weekends, any UD permit holders may park in Lots 20 and 19.
Visitors must pay at parking meter in Lot 20, parking meters on Main Street, Grotto’s parking lot, or Trabant Parking Garage.
The Employee Fitness Center is open when the Carpenter Sports Building is open. Hours will vary depending on semester and when offices are closed for special circumstances. Please view the most updated hourly schedule here.
- As of March 16, 2020, the Employee Fitness Center is CLOSED until further notice.
Employees who purchase an employee locker may have access to Employee Locker room. Those who have not purchased an Employee locker must use the General Locker Room. To purchase an employee locker, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 302-831-8600. Both locker rooms are present inside the Carpenter Sports Building.
EFC Rules & Policies
- All facility users must be at least 18 years of age. Please use the Student Fitness Center for minor use.
- All facility users must be faculty, staff, retiree, or a spouse of an employee. Special permission may be given to certain groups on campus to use facility.
- A signed Employee Fitness Center Release is required prior to initial use of this facility. Please sign in at entry by cubbies.
- No bags, backpacks, coats, etc., are permitted in the fitness area. Please place items in locker or cubby. We are not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- No food or drink, other than water in a plastic bottle, is permitted.
- Athletic shoes, shorts or pants, and a full T-shirt/Tank top are required.
- Do not drop weights or dumbbells.
- Use collars on all free weight bars.
- Use spotters for free weight exercises.
- Return equipment to proper storage areas immediately after use.
- Please wipe down equipment after use with FlexWipe towelettes.
- Facility may not always be monitored: Use at your own risk. It is recommended that exercise equipment be used in the presence of others.
- Orientation for exercise equipment usage is available at your request through Employee Health & Wellbeing Office. To schedule an appointment, please contact email@example.com.
To request a tour of the facility, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 302-831-8388.
Adult Physical Fitness Center
FREE EXERCISE COUNSELING AVAILABLE!
While the Adult Physical Fitness Center will remain closed this summer, the exercise counseling team is still here for you! Feel free to reach out to Exercise Counseling for FREE services! They’ve moved their platform online and are able to help develop or modify a new program just for you during this time.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
Tower at STAR, 2nd Floor, Rm 238
100 Discovery Blvd, Newark, DE
Monday: 6:00 am – 8:00 am and 4:30 – 7:00 pm
Tuesday: 6:00 – 8:00 am and 5:00 – 7:00 pm
Wednesday: 6:00 am – 8:00 am and 4:30 – 7:00 pm
Thursday: 6:00 – 8:00 am and 5:00 – 7:00 pm
Friday: 6:00 – 8:00 am and 3:30 – 5:30pm
*The fitness center will be closed on holidays that the University is closed.
*The fitness center is closed on weekends.
There are no lockers to store your belongings.
There is 1 shower for employee use outside of fitness center in rm 239. Please bring your own towel.