FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who is eligible to participate in EHW Programs?
Employees, retirees, and their spouses are eligible to participate in our programs and services. Graduate and undergraduate students are not eligible to participate. Dependents are unable to participate in Employee Health and Wellbeing programs, but may use the facilities within Carpenter Sports Building, as long as a parent is present. Please review the Recreation Services Policies & Procedures Manual for more information.
What are Wellness Dollars?
Wellness Dollars are virtual dollars that you can spend on health and wellbeing programs. Full-time employees and retirees receiving benefits will get 75 Wellness Dollars per fiscal year. Employees working part-time and receiving benefits will get 38 Wellness Dollars per fiscal year.
How do I spend my Wellness Dollars? Wellness Dollars can be used for Employee Health & Wellbeing programs and services. They are not real dollars and cannot be spent on items external to the University. Throughout the year, you will be able to use them for University-wide health challenges, health screenings, nutrition programs, personal training, fitness assessments, fitness classes, lockers and more. When you visit the program registration site, you will be able to use your Wellness Dollars. The system is set up to pull from your Wellness Dollar bank first. If you deplete your Wellness Dollars, you can pay out of pocket. If you do not use all of your Wellness Dollars by June 30, you lose them. You cannot roll them into the next year’s bank. Each July 1, you will start fresh with 75 Wellness Dollars.
Who can use Wellness Dollars? You are the only one who can use your Wellness Dollars for programs and services. Although your spouse is able to participate in our programs, they cannot access your Wellness Dollar account. Spouses will pay the equivalent cost out of pocket. Wellness Dollars are non-transferable, which means you cannot give them to a co-worker if you are not planning to use them. Miscellaneous wage employees do not receive Wellness Dollars, however they can participate in Employee Health and Wellness programs by paying the equivalent out of pocket fee.
What other services do I have access to?
Aside from the Employee Health & Wellbeing services offered, you are eligible to take the Recreation Services fitness classes or participate in their personal training program. Additionally, you have access to all of the facilities within the building. Please note that there may be times that facilities are reserved for classes or other events and may be unavailable to the public. Feel free to call the CSB front desk (831-8600) if you have any questions about facility use/reservation.
Lockers & Laundry Service
There are two locker rooms within Carpenter Sports Building. To rent a locker in the employee locker room, there is a small fee of $75 per year. Lockers are available for rent for the fiscal year starting in July. If you do not wish to purchase a locker in the employee locker room, there are general locker rooms for you to use. The CSB front desk can provide you with a lock for daily use. There is no fee associated with using the general locker room. You also have access to laundry service, for a fee of $60 per year. Laundry service includes daily washing & machine drying of your items in a mesh bag (provided), and a towel. Clean laundry is returned to a passcode-protected room on the main level. Lockers and laundry service can be rented online or in person at the cashier’s desk in the CSB.
Where is Employee Health & Wellbeing located?
We are located in the Carpenter Sports Building, affectionately known as the Little Bob. You can access the CSB from North College Avenue or from Main Street.
Our program office is room 124, right across from the pool.
The Employee Fitness Center is just past our office, located in room 127 (between the 2 large gyms). Accessing the CSB In order to enter the CSB, you will need a valid University ID. When you enter through the main doors, simply swipe or tap your ID at the turnstiles for access to the building. Once in, you have access to all facilities within the CSB, provided there is not a scheduled event in a specific area.
How do I purchase a personal training package/fitness assessment/know your numbers screening?
If enough wellness dollars are present, you may purchase any of the fitness services by completing the google form. Please note: that the deadline to register for personal training with wellness dollars from the 2018-2019 fiscal year was June 1. We will not be taking any more clients until July 1, 2019.
If no wellness dollars are available, you may purchase through Recreation Portal. By registering through the Recreation Portal, log into your account using CAS. Click on “Fitness Services”, followed by “Employee Wellbeing”. You may also visit the Carpenter Sports Building cashier to pay via cash, credit, or check. The Carpenter Sports Building is located at 26 N. College Avenue, Newark, DE 19716. You may find the cashier immediately as you walk through main entrance to your right. Checks are made payable to the “University of Delaware”.
How do I schedule an appointment?
Purchase fitness service by completing Google form, purchasing through the Recreation Portal, or paying at the Carpenter Sports Building Cashier.
Complete the health & fitness questionnaire for our fitness coordinator to review. Return completed forms to the Employee Health and Wellbeing office at 125 Carpenter Sports Building via campus mail or fax to 831-3303.
Once your forms are received and have been reviewed, the Fitness Coordinator will contact you to schedule your appointment with a personal trainer or health screener. Important: No appointments will be scheduled without completed forms first being received.
What if I need to cancel an appointment?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 302-831-8388 to cancel your appointment with 24 hours or more in advance to reschedule. No shows will not be rescheduled or reimbursed.
- BARRE: A hybrid workout class – combining ballet-inspired moves with elements of Pilates, dance, yoga and strength training. Focusing on high repetitions of small range movements, this class will strengthen and tone the full body with and without light pound weights. Optional Equipment: Light pound dumbbells (or water bottles), Mat.
- BODYCOMBAT: A high-energy martial arts-inspired workout that is non-contact. Punch and kick your way to fitness and burn hundreds of calories in a class. No experience needed. No equipment necessary. Learn moves from Karate, Taekwondo, Boxing, Muay Thai, Capoeira and Kung Fu. Optional Equipment: Mat.
- BODYPUMP: This barbell class brought to you by the LES MILLS™ team will strengthen your entire body and challenge all of your major muscle groups in a full body workout by using weight room exercises like squats, presses, lifts, and curls. Great music, motivating instructors, and your choice of weight will inspire you to achieve the results you came for. Equipment: barbell or dumbbells, mat, bench/floor.
- BODYWEIGHT BOOTCAMP: A 30-minute high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout that improves cardiovascular fitness, increases speed, and maximizes calorie burn. This workout uses a variety of body weight exercises and provides the challenge and intensity you need to get results fast. Optional Equipment: mat.
- CARDIO STRENGTH: Increase your cardio endurance by increasing and lowering your heart rate with and without extra resistance. Not only will you work your heart, but you will also get your muscles burning to build strength! Optional Equipment: dumbbells/ body bar/ resistance bands/ or household items, Mat. Please note equipment may vary per workout.
- FAMILY YOGA: The activities of this class are for children and parents to do together. Family Yoga helps children and parents: become stronger, more flexible, develop coordination, balance, and motor skills. Relaxation techniques, deeper focus, and concentration will be experienced by all and aid with becoming more grounded and peaceful together. All are welcome to Family Yoga!
- GRIT CARDIO: A 30-minute high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout that improves cardiovascular fitness, increases speed, and maximizes calorie burn. This workout uses a variety of body weight exercises and provides the challenge and intensity you need to get results fast. Optional Equipment: mat.
- MORNING MEDITATION: Start your mornings by getting focused and centered through meditation. Learn new techniques and expand your emotional agility through any of these 15 minute meditation sessions. On Fridays, expect to experiment and expand your meditation horizons by participating in a session that feature singing bowls, guided meditations, mantras, or chanting.
- PILATES TONE: A strengthening and lengthening form of exercise that focuses on movements that emphasize building strong abdominals and lower back to enhance strength, muscular symmetry, alignment, flexibility, grace and coordination. Optional Equipment: mat, light weight dumbbells 1-3lbs (or water bottles/soup cans)
- RECESS: Through the art of play, this fun kids fitness class includes circuit training and games to develop skills to increase strength, balance, and cardio all while at home. Equipment may vary per class.
- STRETCH & MOBILITY: A class is ideal for anyone looking to improve their posture, proper body alignment, better movement, and flexibility. That means it helps your body moves in a way that is smart, efficient, and with less risk of injury. Optional Equipment: mat
- TAI CHI: Perform a flowing sequence of martial arts moves designed to help improve balance, coordination, and overall health and wellbeing. All beginners welcome. No equipment necessary.
- WORKPLACE WIND-DOWN: de-stress and unwind after the workday on Tuesdays and Thursdays through meditation. Practice mindfulness to train attention and awareness and achieve a mentally clear and emotionally calm and stable state through any of these 15-minute sessions.
- YOGA BREAK: Reset your mind and body in less than 30 minutes with a sequence that features rejuvenating side bends, heart-openers, and twists. Focus on connecting the breath to movement as you build strength and stability in the lower body, upper body, and core. Equipment: mat and blocks.
- YOGA: Connect the breath to movement as you flow through multiple postures to lengthen and strengthen the muscles of the body. Optional Equipment: mat and blocks.
- ZUMBA: A fitness program that combines Latin and international music with dance moves. Zumba routines incorporate interval training — alternating fast and slow rhythms — to help improve cardiovascular fitness. For future viewing purposes, instructors will be recording all classes. No equipment necessary.
- ZUMBA TONING: When it comes to body sculpting, Zumba® Toning raises the bar (or rather, the toning stick). It combines targeted body-sculpting exercises and high-energy cardio work with Latin-infused Zumba® moves to create a calorie-torching, strength-training dance fitness-party. Optional Equipment: 1-2.5lb dumbbells (or 2 full 16 oz. water bottles or soup cans)
How do I register for class?
- Log into the UD Recreation Portal (https://recreation.udel.edu) with your CAS information.
- Click on “Employee Health & Wellbeing”.
- Click on “Wellbeing Group Fitness”.
- Click on specific class you would like to participate in.
- Click on “Register” for specific class time. (Please note that registration opens 24 hours before the class starts and closes 1 minute prior to class starting.)
- “Confirm Registration”. You should receive an email receipt when completed.
Review more program registration information here.
How do I cancel a class?
- Log into the Recreation Portal (https://recreation.udel.edu) by using your CAS information.
- Click on your user name at the top right of the page
- Click “Profile” from the dropdown
- Click “Programs” from the list on the left of the page
- Click “Cancel” for the class reservation you no longer want to attend
View more program registration information here.
How do I purchase an All-Access Membership?
If wellness dollars are available, please fill out this form and you will receive confirmation when the membership is added to your account.
If no wellness dollars are available, please visit the Carpenter Sports Building Cashier to purchase the membership for $75 via cash, credit, or check.
How can I give feedback about classes, instructors or schedule?
Fill out our Fitness Feedback Form – here