FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who is eligible to participate in EHW Programs?
Employees, retirees, and their spouses are eligible to participate in our programs and services. Graduate and undergraduate students are not eligible to participate. Dependents are unable to participate in Employee Health and Wellbeing programs, but may use the facilities within Carpenter Sports Building, as long as a parent is present. Please review the Recreation Services Policies & Procedures Manual for more information.
What are Wellness Dollars?
Wellness Dollars are virtual dollars that you can spend on health and wellbeing programs. Full-time employees and retirees receiving benefits will get 75 Wellness Dollars per fiscal year. Employees working part-time and receiving benefits will get 38 Wellness Dollars per fiscal year.
How do I spend my Wellness Dollars? Wellness Dollars can be used for Employee Health & Wellbeing programs and services. They are not real dollars and cannot be spent on items external to the University. Throughout the year, you will be able to use them for University-wide health challenges, health screenings, nutrition programs, personal training, fitness assessments, fitness classes, lockers and more. When you visit the program registration site, you will be able to use your Wellness Dollars. The system is set up to pull from your Wellness Dollar bank first. If you deplete your Wellness Dollars, you can pay out of pocket. If you do not use all of your Wellness Dollars by June 30, you lose them. You cannot roll them into the next year’s bank. Each July 1, you will start fresh with 75 Wellness Dollars.
Who can use Wellness Dollars? You are the only one who can use your Wellness Dollars for programs and services. Although your spouse is able to participate in our programs, they cannot access your Wellness Dollar account. Spouses will pay the equivalent cost out of pocket. Wellness Dollars are non-transferable, which means you cannot give them to a co-worker if you are not planning to use them. Miscellaneous wage employees do not receive Wellness Dollars, however they can participate in Employee Health and Wellness programs by paying the equivalent out of pocket fee.
What other services do I have access to?
Aside from the Employee Health & Wellbeing services offered, you are eligible to take the Recreation Services fitness classes or participate in their personal training program. Additionally, you have access to all of the facilities within the building. Please note that there may be times that facilities are reserved for classes or other events and may be unavailable to the public. Feel free to call the CSB front desk (831-8600) if you have any questions about facility use/reservation.
Lockers & Laundry Service
There are two locker rooms within Carpenter Sports Building. To rent a locker in the employee locker room, there is a small fee of $75 per year. Lockers are available for rent for the fiscal year starting in July. If you do not wish to purchase a locker in the employee locker room, there are general locker rooms for you to use. The CSB front desk can provide you with a lock for daily use. There is no fee associated with using the general locker room. You also have access to laundry service, for a fee of $60 per year. Laundry service includes daily washing & machine drying of your items in a mesh bag (provided), and a towel. Clean laundry is returned to a passcode-protected room on the main level. Lockers and laundry service can be rented online or in person at the cashier’s desk in the CSB.
Where is Employee Health & Wellbeing located?
We are located in the Carpenter Sports Building, affectionately known as the Little Bob. You can access the CSB from North College Avenue or from Main Street.
Our program office is room 124, right across from the pool.
The Employee Fitness Center is just past our office, located in room 127 (between the 2 large gyms). Accessing the CSB In order to enter the CSB, you will need a valid University ID. When you enter through the main doors, simply swipe or tap your ID at the turnstiles for access to the building. Once in, you have access to all facilities within the CSB, provided there is not a scheduled event in a specific area.
How do I purchase a personal training package/fitness assessment/know your numbers screening?
If enough wellness dollars are present, you may purchase any of the fitness services by completing the google form. Please note: that the deadline to register for personal training with wellness dollars from the 2018-2019 fiscal year was June 1. We will not be taking any more clients until July 1, 2019.
If no wellness dollars are available, you may purchase through Recreation Portal. By registering through the Recreation Portal, log into your account using CAS. Click on “Fitness Services”, followed by “Employee Wellbeing”. You may also visit the Carpenter Sports Building cashier to pay via cash, credit, or check. The Carpenter Sports Building is located at 26 N. College Avenue, Newark, DE 19716. You may find the cashier immediately as you walk through main entrance to your right. Checks are made payable to the “University of Delaware”.
How do I schedule an appointment?
Purchase fitness service by completing Google form, purchasing through the Recreation Portal, or paying at the Carpenter Sports Building Cashier.
Complete the health & fitness questionnaire for our fitness coordinator to review. Return completed forms to the Employee Health and Wellbeing office at 125 Carpenter Sports Building via campus mail or fax to 831-3303.
Once your forms are received and have been reviewed, the Fitness Coordinator will contact you to schedule your appointment with a personal trainer or health screener. Important: No appointments will be scheduled without completed forms first being received.
What if I need to cancel an appointment?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 302-831-8388 to cancel your appointment with 24 hours or more in advance to reschedule. No shows will not be rescheduled or reimbursed.
- Barre: This class uses a combination of postures inspired by ballet, Pilates, and yoga. The barre is used as a prop to balance while doing isometric strength training exercises. This low impact class will help improve posture, muscle definition, and increase flexibility. Ballet/dance experience is not required.
- BODYCOMBAT: This class is a high-energy martial arts-inspired workout that is non-contact. Punch and kick your way to fitness and burn up to 740 calories* in a class. No experience needed. Learn moves from Karate, Taekwondo, Boxing, Muay Thai, Capoeira and Kung Fu. Modifications provided. Release stress, have a blast and feel like a champion. Bring your best fighter attitude and leave inhibitions at the door.
- BODYPUMP: This barbell class brought to you by the LES MILLS™ team will strengthen your entire body and challenge all of your major muscle groups in a full body workout by using weight room exercises like squats, presses, lifts, and curls. Great music, motivating instructors, and your choice of weight will inspire you to come back for more!
- Cardio Strength: This class will vary each week. Some classes will focus on strength and body sculpting while others will focus on improving your cardio. YOU control the intensity of your workout and improve all aspects of your personal fitness.
- Exercise & Conditioning: This class will take place in the Delaware Field House Weight Room, where you will have access to a variety of equipment. A personal trainer will create the workouts for you, enabling to learn proper form and technique in a safe environment while also be challenged by metabolic conditioning drills.
- Cycle: Cycling is a great option for anyone looking to improve cardio in a low-impact setting. You will race, climb, and cruise on your bike- all from the comfort of the Little Bob. This class is sure to get your heart pumping and all your muscles working.
- GRIT ATHLETIC: LES MILLS GRIT™ Athletic is a 30-minute high-intensity interval training (HIIT) plyometric-based workout, designed to make you perform like an athlete. This workout uses a bench and combines explosive jumping exercises with agility training to increase explosiveness and to build a lean and athletic body.
- GRIT CARDIO: LES MILLS GRIT™ Cardio is a 30-minute high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout that improves cardiovascular fitness, increase speed and maximize calorie burn. This workout uses a variety of body weight exercises and provides the challenge and intensity you need to get results fast.
- GRIT STRENGTH: LES MILLS GRIT™ Strength is a 30-minute high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout, designed to improve strength and build lean muscle. This workout uses barbell, weight plate and body weight exercises to blast all major muscle groups. LES MILLS GRIT Strength takes cutting edge HIIT and combines it with powerful music and inspirational coaches who will be down on the floor with you, motivating you to go harder to get fit, fast.
- Pilates: This class emphasizes the strengthening of the Powerhouse region: abdominals, back, hips, inner/outer thighs, and buttocks. This class will focus on overall toning, stretching, and lengthening. Work on posture, flexibility, balance, and coordination with newfound energy.
- SPRINT: A 30-minute high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workout designed to combine bursts of intensity when you work as hard as possible, with periods of rest that prepare you for your next effort. A low impact workout on an indoor bike to have you burning calories for hours after your workout!
- Step & Tone: Step aerobics class that will not only help tone your glutes and legs, but will help you build stamina and increase endurance. Following your “Step” cardio session, varied upper and lower body toning exercises are incorporated using the body bar or free weights.
- Train Like an Athlete: This Small Group Training class will take either on the Field House turf or on the CSB Track Floor, where you will have access to a variety of equipment. A personal trainer will create the workouts for you with a big focus on functional training. Learn proper form and technique in a safe environment while enhancing your strength, endurance, stability, flexibility, agility, and power.
- Yoga: Focus on the breath in combination with various poses will help strengthen your body and your mind. Whether you are a seasoned yogi or new to the mat, this class is perfect for all looking to improve strength and decrease stress.
- Zumba: Take the “work” out of workout, by mixing low-intensity and high-intensity moves for an interval-style, calorie-burning dance fitness party. Once the Latin and World rhythms take over, you will see why Zumba® is often called exercise in disguise. A total workout, combining all elements of fitness – cardio, muscle conditioning, balance and flexibility, boosted energy and a serious dose of awesome each time you leave class.
- Zumba Gold: Have you ever wanted to try Zumba, but been too intimidated to sign up? Then Zumba Gold is for you! This beginner Zumba class is geared to teach you all of the Zumba steps set to the same exciting, upbeat music for a great calorie-burning workout! Zumba Gold features more verbal cues and instruction.
- CSB: Carpenter Sports Building or Lil Bob, 26 N. College Ave, need UD ID to enter
- Rust Ice Arena Ballet Room: Located on South Campus. The ballet room is located in the ice rink, up the last set of bleachers, near back wall.
- Field House Erg Room: Located on the third floor of the Delaware Field House on South Campus. Walk through Main Doors and walk up the stairs.
- Field House Indoor Turf: Located inside the Field House on South Campus. Walk through Main Doors and walk straight to turf.
- Field House Weight Room: Located on the first floor of Field House on S. College Ave., down right hallway to the very end.
- ELC: Early Learning Center on Wyoming Road. Gym is around the back side of the building near the playground (door will be propped open for you by the instructor)
- Morris Library: Located on Main Campus in Class of 1941 Room. Walk in main entrance and make an immediate left.
- South Campus STAR Tower: on UD Health Campus off of South College Avenue. 100 Discovery Blvd. Go to fourth floor. Room is along window side at 419 and 420.
How do I register for class?
- Once an All-Access Membership has been purchased, participants must reserve their spot in class ONLINE prior to arriving. *Registration opens 24 hours before the class starts. This will help eliminate participants being turned away due to not having enough open spots in the class.
- Log into the UD Recreation Portal (https://recreation.udel.edu) with your CAS information.
- Click on “Employee Health & Wellbeing”.
- Click on “Wellbeing Group Fitness”.
- Click on specific class you would like to participate in.
- Click on “Register” for specific class time.
- “Confirm Registration”. You should receive an email receipt when completed.
How do I cancel a class?
- Log into the Recreation Portal (https://recreation.udel.edu) by using your CAS information.
- Click on your user name at the top right of the page
- Click “Profile” from the dropdown
- Click “Programs” from the list on the left of the page
- Click “Cancel” for the class reservation you no longer want to attend
What happens if I forget to cancel my registration to a class I cannot make anymore?
If you find that you are no longer able to take a class, you may cancel your reserved spot 24 hours before the start of class and up to one minute before the class start time. Please cancel your reservation if you cannot attend so your spot can be opened for another participant. If you reserve a spot, do not cancel, and do not attend any class you signed up for three times, your ability to register for classes will be suspended for one week. If you fail to cancel your spot in class a fourth time, your ability to register will be suspended until you meet with the Fitness Coordinator.
How do I purchase an All-Access Membership?
If wellness dollars are available, please fill out this Google form and you will receive confirmation when the membership is added to your account.
If no wellness dollars are available, please visit the Carpenter Sports Building Cashier to purchase the membership for $75 via cash, credit, or check.
How can I give feedback about classes, instructors or schedule?
Fill out our Fitness Feedback Form – here