COUCH TO 5K
RUN ON ACCOUNTABILITY
Want to run a 5k but do not know where to start? Or maybe you finished a 5k and are looking to increase your distance? Join Employee Health and Wellbeing virtually for our returning “Couch to 5k” (C25k) and 10k 8-week running program by participating in our UD C25k accountability group. Starting Monday, August 31 through Sunday, October 25, runners may download the “C25k 5k Trainer” app or”10k Trainer by C25k” to track their running progress throughout the next 8 weeks and connect to other employees using Microsoft Teams and Zoom. By using Microsoft Teams and Zoom, employees can share information, tips, and motivation to one another to keep each other accountable.
Learn more about the Couch to 5k Accountability Group here! To join accountability group, please email Fitness Coordinator Chelsea Finch at email@example.com.
Participating in the Couch to 5k program through Employee Health and Well-Being this spring has been immensely impactful for me. I’ve really enjoyed the virtual format where I have a lot of flexibility on the times and locations for my runs. I’ve chosen the Northern Delaware Greenways Trail as the primary location for my training, which is incredibly beautiful. One of the biggest improvements for me as a result of the program has been increased self-esteem and enhanced mental health as I got to take time to myself and clear my head, enjoying the nature all around me. Though the program is virtual this semester, the group aspect of weekly Zoom calls and check-ins on Microsoft Teams have been wonderful in order to keep me accountable and connected to the UD community. I plan to continue running throughout the summer, though hopefully on flatter terrain!
Every year I have thought about doing the UD C25K program, but this is the 1st time I’ve done it (Spring 2020). I’m not one for group activities with people I don’t know, so the fact that I can do this on my own time is perfect for me. I am also enjoying several virtual Employee Group Fitness classes now too! Some days I don’t feel like running, but being in this group keeps me and my husband accountable and motivated. I love how we all support and cheer each other on in Microsoft Teams. I plan to continue running the 5k distance once this program is over and maybe to even go further!
What is the Couch to 5k Training Program?
- C25K® is the easiest program to get beginners from sedentary to 5K distance runners in 8 weeks.
- Designed for inexperienced runners who are just beginning an exercise routine.
- The plan’s structure prevents new runners from giving up, and at the same time, challenges them to continue moving forward.
- Why does it work?
- It starts with a mix of running and walking, gradually building up strength and stamina to fully running a 5K.
What is Microsoft Teams?
- What is it?
- Microsoft Teams is a chat and collaboration-based platform designed to simplify group work to bring together people, conversations and content in a workspace.
- Where do I get it?
- Microsoft Teams can be used from a web browser, or from an app on your computer or mobile device. This service is available to any active faculty, staff or student of the University of Delaware for free. Outside guests can also be added to existing Teams.
What is an accountability group?
- What is it?
- An accountability group is a gathering of people who share their goals and support each other in reaching them. The group meets regularly to share their goals for the next week, to report on their progress from the week before, and to offer support to other members.