Pre-registration advising has begun! Check out our previous post about Spring enrollment for tips and reminders that also pertain to Fall enrollment. If you have already picked out a major and are able to change it prior to the start of your registration, we highly recommend you do so. Please read the following for more information about declaring a major.
If you have already completed a full semester (spring or fall) as a UD student and have chosen a major that you meet the requirements for, you can submit a Change of Major form. You cannot submit a Change of Major yet if a) you are a new student (first-year or transfer) in your first semester, b) the major you want has specific application dates, and/or c) you do not meet the requirements for the restricted major. For application dates and requirements, see the Restricted Majors page for your Catalog year: 2017-2018, 2018-2019, 2019-2020.
- For students who want a major in the College of Business and Economics, you can apply starting March 15th, as long as you meet the minimum requirements.
- For students who want a major in the College of Engineering, you can apply after your spring semester grades have been published and as long as you meet the minimum requirements.
New first-year and transfer students whose entry term is Spring 2020 can submit a Change of Major form for an unrestricted major (any major not listed on the Restricted Majors page) starting April 14 (after the withdrawal deadline).
You can find the Change of Major form in UDSIS or directly through Web Forms. Here are some tips when submitting the form:
- If you are submitting a request for more than one program (e.g. double majors, a major and a minor, etc.), put in separate entries for each program. It will not accept a major and a minor in the same line.
- Submit the form itself. Adding the lines for each program is not submitting the form. Make sure you complete the page asking why you are requesting the change.
- Allow some time for the form to process. It needs to be approved by the department and then processed by the Registrar. You can see the status in Web Forms by reviewing the form in the Out Basket tab.
We encourage students to declare a major by the end of their sophomore year. If you are in your second or third year and are undecided or don’t meet the requirements for your intended major, schedule a meeting with your UST advisor to explore your options.