Trabant, Lower Level, 157A
Learn. Serve. Lead — BHLP
Explore your potential and gain certification in multiple levels of leadership through our nationally recognized Blue Hen Leadership Program, which provides diverse development opportunities for hundreds of students from all areas of campus each year.
1. Personal Leadership
Students will gain insight into their personal traits, values, fears, perspectives and goals in order to develop a greater sense of self, purpose, balance and effectiveness.
2. Organizational Leadership
Students will develop methods to effectively lead diverse teams, to set and achieve shared goals, and to contribute to the success of healthy organizations in a variety of roles.
Students will develop skills to think critically, and then to effectively and courageously communicate in a variety of areas. These areas may include decision making, seeing things from multiple and diverse perspectives, sharing ideas, listening to the ideas of others, and problem solving. They will also learn to articulate their own leadership style and apply it to personal experiences and potential areas of employment.
4. Diversity & Inclusion
Students will understand that in our global society, leadership embraces many traditions, cultures, identities, lifestyles, and approaches. Students will explain the importance of openness, inclusiveness, sensitivity, the ability to interact respectfully with all people; understand individual differences, and the unique contributions they bring in building inclusive communities.
5. Community Engagement
Students will learn that those who lead meaningful lives contribute to their communities by affecting positive change. Engagement speaks to going a step beyond volunteerism towards embracing social responsibility.
6. Management Skills
Students will understand the difference between management and leadership and will demonstrate a variety of management skills to help them effectively contribute to their organizations, teams, or group projects.
2018-2019 Program Summary
- 72 first-year students participated in the QUEST leadership experience
- 146 student registered and participated in Tier 1; 86 completed and earned the Certificate of Excellence in Leadership
- 52 students earned a certificate of excellence for completing Tier 2
- 34 students earned certificates of excellence for completing Tier 3
- 29 students earned a certificate of excellence for completing Tier 4
- 26 students participated in our 2 alternative break experiences
Students who participate in the BHLP will:
- Enhance their résumés with theoretical knowledge, practical skills, and experiential leadership
- Understand that everyone has the potential to lead
- Understand that leadership development is an ongoing process
- Articulate a personal, demonstrated leadership style and application
- Appreciate and understand a diverse array of perspectives, cultures and style preferences
- Understand that true leadership involves affecting positive change
- Learn skills that enhance their ability to build relationships and to manage an organization or team
- Improve their communication skills, critical thinking skills, problem analysis, and management skills
- Lead a team through the successful design, planning, completion and assessment of a project
- Engage in purposeful community service and reflection
- Have the opportunity to earn a Certificate of Excellence in Leadership in four levels