Quest

First Year Leadership and College Transition Experience

Do you want to be a part of something GREAT to kick off your UD experience?

QUEST

QUEST will be conducted by Susan Luchey, Associate Director of Student Centers for Leadership Development; BHLP staff; and a group of peer mentors who have completed the Emerging Leader level or higher of the UD Blue Hen Leadership Program.

Questions? Email Susan Luchey at sluchey@udel.edu.

QUEST is still happening! Although the move to a mostly online semester may have you wondering how you will meet new friends, no need to worry. QUEST, even as a virtual experience, will connect you to other first year students and engage you in a positive, rewarding and fun fall semester! The fee has been waived for the fall semester. The program will still focus on building relationships and working in Quest Teams with an upper- class peer mentor. The program will conclude over the first few days of spring break, with the traditional QUEST activities, including a day on a high ropes course, a boat race, a day of service and other large group team building experiences. A final QUEST Awards Banquet will take place in May, 2021.

QUEST is an opportunity for University of Delaware freshmen to get an early start on a journey of self-discovery and personal leadership development and to gain the confidence that will support a successful student experience.

This selective program is open to 75 students who demonstrate an interest in learning about leadership and who show a desire to thrive through engagement in the UD community.

Want to be a part of our QUEST summer leadership program?

Applications are now open for QUEST 2020. Deadline for early acceptance into the QUEST experience is August 24, 2020.

To make the application process easier, please have your responses to the following questions prepared prior to accessing the online application. Then simply copy and paste your prepared responses into the application.

1. Why are you applying to participate in the QUEST program, and what are you hoping to gain from your participation?
    2. As you prepare to enter college, what are you most anxious about? Most excited about?
    3. Development as a leader is an ongoing process.  Describe what you believe are your leadership strengths and your leadership “gaps”.  What skills and leadership characteristics do you still need to develop?

The QUEST experience takes place both on and off campus and will include:

• keynote speaker (Marlon Smith, themarlonchristopher.com) as a kickoff event
    • activities geared around getting to know the UD campus and traditions
    • workshops on leadership, values identification, goal setting, self-assessment, cultural competency and teambuilding
    • the creation of an action plan for a successful freshmen year
    • a day of community service (spring semester)
    • community service
    • challenge/ropes courses/boat races and outdoor activities (spring semester)
    • social activities

Participants will be able to:

• identify a set of personal values
    • create a list of SMART goals for the fall semester
    • identify their personal leadership style
    • learn to work effectively as part of a diverse team
    • articulate concepts of various leadership models
    • learn to face fear, take risks, face challenges
    • identify tools for success at UD

Outcomes:

Participants will foster connections among freshmen, leadership mentors and staff.

Participants will engage in experiences that contribute to an understanding of what it means to be a respectful and contributing member of an inclusive community that values human worth.

Participants will identify personal goals and learn how personal awareness and decision-making can impact one’s ability to achieve success.

Participants will understand that developing as a leader is a process that involves self-awareness, relationships, skills, service to others and transformation.

Question
    in order to challenge the process
    Understand
    that leadership is a quest, a journey towards self-awareness
    Explore
    possibilities
    Serve
    Others
    Transform
    yourself and impact the world in positive ways

2020 Quest Peer Mentors

Headshot of Julia Brice

Julia Brice

Hi QUESTers! My name is Julia Brice (she/her/hers) and I am a sophomore Health Behavior Science major with a minor in Disability Studies from New Windsor, NY. Besides being involved in Tier 2 of BHLP, I am the assistant music director for Golden Blues acapella and I...

Jordan Heydt

Hey Questers!! My name is Jordan Heydt (she/her/hers) and I am so excited to be a part of your QUEST journey! I’m from Baltimore, Maryland and can’t wait for you all to make Delaware your new home just like I have! I am currently a senior Marine Science and Biology...

Cullen Kisner

Hi everyone! My name is Cullen Kisner (she/her/hers) and I am a junior double majoring in Biological Sciences and Spanish Studies from Camden-Wyoming, DE. I also am on the pre-medical track and want to attend medical school post-graduation to achieve my goal of...
    Headshot of Lauren Leader

Lauren Leader

Hey QUESTers! My name is Lauren Leader (she/her/hers) and I’m from Macungie, Pennsylvania.  I’m a sophomore majoring in exercise science and I’m planning to go to grad school for physical therapy.   I’m a part of BHLP Tier 2 and I am also a member of the exercise...

Shannon Murray

Hey QUESTers!! My name is Shannon Murray (she/her/hers) and I am a Junior from right here in Newark, Delaware. I am majoring in Math Secondary Education and have a minor in Psychology. Along with participating in Tier 3 of BHLP, I am also the president of Episcopal...
    Wren Doonan

Wren Doonan

Hello everyone! My name is Wren Doonan, and my pronouns are they/them! I am so excited to be one of your QUEST peer mentors! I am originally from Brooklyn, New York. I am a junior Pre-Veterinary Medicine and Animal Biosciences major with a minor in Wildlife...
    Headshot of Jenny Ziegler

Jenny Ziegler

Hello QUESTers! My name is Jenny Ziegler (she/her/hers) and I’m a sophomore from Wheaton Illinois. I am an honors mechanical engineering major with a minor in psychology. This year I’m looking forward to working with the Mechanical Engineering Student Squad (MESS),...
    Headshot of Jacob Herz

Jacob Herz

Howdy QUESTers! My name is Jacob Herz (he/him/his) and I am super excited to meet you. I am a sophomore majoring in Communications from Stamford, CT. On campus, I am on the ultimate frisbee team, a member of Best Buddies, and a part of the school radio (WVUD) as a...
    Headshot of Liz Swanson

Liz Swanson

Hi Blue Hens! My name is Liz Swanson(she/her/hers) and I am a junior Political Science and Criminal Justice Double Major from Hopedale, Massachusetts. At UD, I am involved in greek life, a volunteer for UDance, and a Tier 3 participant. Outside of school, I love to...
    Headshot of Joey Lanzona

Joey Lanzona

QUEST 2020, MAKE SOME NOISE! Hello, guys! My name is Joey Lanzona (he/him/his) and I am studying Exercise Science for Physical Therapy. I was born in the Philippines, but I spent a majority of my life in Newark, Delaware! Although I am a commuter student, I try my...
    Headshot of Hayley Sussman

Hayley Sussman

Hello all! My name is Hayley (she/her/hers) and I am an honors sophomore Biomedical Engineering major with a minor in Public Health. I am from Wayne, New Jersey, which is just 25 miles west of Manhattan! Here at UD, I am involved in Tier 2 of the Blue Hen Leadership...
    Headshot of Tori Reiner

Tori Reiner

Hey QUESTers!!! My name is Tori Reiner (she/her/hers) and I am a junior biomedical engineering major in the grand challenges scholars program on a pre-med track. I am from Pennsylvania, but I have also lived in California and New Jersey. I am very involved around...

Charlie Hannum

Hey QUESTers! My name is Charlie Hannum (he/him/his) and I am super excited to meet you. I’m a senior from Chalfont, Pennsylvania majoring in Computer Science, pursuing a master’s in Data Science, and have minors in Mathematics and Electrical & Computer...
    Headshot of Lindsay Marrione

Lindsay Marrione

Hi Blue Hens! My name is Lindsay Marrione (she/her/hers), and I am a Junior studying English and Advertising from Lynbrook, Long Island. I am thrilled to be a part of your QUEST experience and help introduce you to your new home. On campus, I am a Tier 3 participant...

Sean Friday

Hey QUESTers! I’m Sean Friday (he/him/his), a junior Construction Engineering and Management major from Plymouth Meeting, PA. I am president of the Golden Blues acapella group, the founder of Construction Engineers of America on campus, and I am a part of the...