Here you will find some web resources beyond the basic Second Life resources. They are listed in themed categories.
If you have useful website that you think is of value to our viewers please let me know.
- Electric Archaeology: Digital SL Media for Learning – http://electricarchaeologist.wordpress.com/category/second-life/
Art & Entertainment:
- Koinup Blog: News, Events and “The Best of Koinup” : http://blog.koinup.com/ & their web page http://www.koinup.com/
- Not Possible in Real Life (NPIRL): The best place to keep up with what’s happening in the arts in SL – http://npirl.blogspot.com/
- Zugzugz: Ravenelle Zugzwang’s place on the web where she shares links and thoughts on art and much more – http://zugzugz.com/
- SLTV & Treet.tv Archives: SLTV was the SL tv main station in Second Life.
It hosted lots of great shows covering a wide range of topics and events. Hoping to cover a wider range of virtual worlds and audiences, SLTV is now Treet TV.
They still offer a large array of programing, everything from SL sports, interview & entertainment shows, education talks and events and business shows. – http://www.treet.tv/
You can view previous SLTV & Treet.TV shows in the archive at Treet.tv – http://archive.treet.tv/
- Mal Burns Second Arts: SL TV shows & events captured live in Machinima format. – http://malburns.wordpress.com/
SL Entrepreneur Magazine: SLentreprenuer Magazine is a publication dedicated to business in the virtual world Second Life. Created and conceived in January of 2008, the magazine seeks to present valuable content on all aspects of Second Life Industry. Sections include Second Life Profiles, News, Features, Second Life Traffic Report and the SLENTRE.COM FREE classifieds.
Business TV Shows:
- Metanomics-Business and Policy in Virtual Worlds.Live weekly show featuring Robert Bloomfield from Cornell University’s Johnson Graduate School of Management asking questions to the movers and shakers in business involved in virtual worlds. – http://metanomics.net/
- Real Biz in SL – SLCN.TV show with Host Cybergrrl Oh who takes you on tour of real world businesses with an in-world presence as well as interviews. – http://slcn.tv/programs/real-biz-sl
- Virtual World Business – a blog that helps people generate income from virtual worlds. – http://virtualworldbusiness.com/
Education in Second Life:
- SLEDucation wiki – http://sleducation.wikispaces.com/educationaluses
- Problem Based Learning In-World – Meredith Snookums – http://pbl4sl.wordpress.com/
- RezEd: The Hub For Learning and Virtual Worlds
RezEd (BETA), an online hub providing practitioners using virtual worlds with access to the highest quality resources and research in the field to establish a strong network of those using virtual worlds for learning. – http://www.rezed.org/
- Best Practices in Education – SLCN.TV interviews major names in virtual worlds education. – http://slcn.tv/best-practices-in-education
- Literature Alive! in Second Life:
Started in 2006 it is an academic project in Second Life aimed at collecting and distributing resources for the development of literary projects of collegiate worth in SL. – http://collegeenglish.wikispaces.com/literaturealive & http://collegeenglish.wikispaces.com/secondlife
- Confederation of Democratic Simulators: Their wiki: http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/Confederation_of_Democratic_Simulators or their or their blog: http://slcds.info/
- ALA Marginalia: http://discuss.ala.org/marginalia/category/second-life/
The American Library Association is the oldest and largest library association in the world, with more than 65,000 members in SL.
- Second Life Library Project: – http://infoisland.org/
- Whitehorn Library, Caledon Victoria City: – http://www.thelibrarymilitant.net/blog/
- The Tech Virtual Museum: http://thetechvirtual.org/
Want to create your own museum exhibit? Want to develop it with other creative thinkers and experts around the world? Want to share your exhibits with visitors in virtual and real galleries? This is the place to design and prototype exhibits online, using the web and Second Life. Start here to propose exhibit projects, share wild ideas and prototype exhibits.
- Second Life consulting – Chemistry activities in Second Life – http://slusage.com/chemistry.asp
- SciLand Virtual Continent – The SciLands is a mini-continent and user community in the virtual world platform Second Life devoted exclusively to science and technology. There are over 30 science and technology related organizations in the SciLands, including government agencies, universities and museums. – http://www.scilands.org/
Metaverse News Outlets
- Metaverse Messenger – The weekly paper of SL happening in PDF form. – http://www.metaversemessenger.com/
- New World Notes – News Blog – http://nwn.blogs.com/
- The Second Life Herald – SL News and Opinion – http://www.secondlifeherald.com/
- SLNN-SL News When You Need IT, How You Need IT: – http://www.slnn.com/index.php
- Metaverse Journal – http://www.metaversejournal.com/
- Second Style: Web site for PDF magazine: http://www.secondstyle.com/ and their blog: http://blog.secondstyle.com/
Second Life Fashion magazine to highlight user created content with a focus on haute couture.
- Fab Free: One of the oldest freebie blogs dedicated to Free clothing in Second Life – http://fabfree.wordpress.com/
- FreeStyle: A place to find great freebies everyday – http://slfreestyle.blogspot.com/
- Freebies: Another blog listing free clothing, accessories and items for Males & Female – http://freebles.wordpress.com/
Other Areas of Metaverse Interest
New Citizens Inc: Helpful information and inworld class schedule for new citizens of Second Life from the folks at NCI.