Applying for a 2019 UDARF Research Fund Grant
The UDARF Executive Board appoints three retirees to the Research Fund Award Committee for a two-year term. The Committee is charged with evaluating the merits of the applications. The current Committee’s term ends in 2020.
- Only retirees are eligible for this grant. However, members of the Award Committee may not apply.
- Applications are due by March 1, 2019 to the UDARF Research Committee. Send the application form electronically to UDARF Vice-President Janet Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Download the application form (PDF version) (Microsoft Word version). Email the completed form to email@example.com.
- The Research Fund Committee will report its evaluation results to the UDARF President by May 1.
- The UDARF President will announce the results at the May luncheon.
- Eligibility criteria:
- Funds for travel to depositories of information for research OR
- Funds for those presenting research papers at an academic conference OR
- Funds for other reasons as the committee deems applicable.
- Award requests may not exceed $750 per application. Thanks to funding from the Office of the Provost, our overall annual funding budget is $5,000.
2018 UDARF Research Fund Grants
The Research Fund Committee (Ronald Martin: chair, John Meakin, Robert Taggart) has awarded seven individual grants of approx $715. The awards will support travel and accommodations at conferences at which presentations will be made.
Deborah C. Andrews (English): Continued research for a publication on the physical environment of 21st Century workplaces designed to foster creativity and innovation through collaborative communication. London, June 2018
Theodore E. D. Braun (Language, Literature and Cultures): Lies, Calumnies, Alternative Facts: Voltaire Against Le Franc de Pompignan, Academie de Montauban. Pompignan, June 2018.
Philip Goldstein (English): Reading Now: Practices, Pedagogy, Profession: An Israel Science Foundation Workshop. Beersheba, June 2018.
David M. Mason (Applied Economics & Statistics): Sándor Csörgő Memorial Conference, Bolyai Institute. Szeged, May 2o18.
Frederick E. Nelson (Geography): 5th European Conference on Permafrost. Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, June 2018.
David P. M. Northmore (Psychological & Brain Sciences): The magical number four in visual perception conjured from neural network tinkering (poster presentation), Champalimaud Research Symposium: Quantitative Approaches to Behaviour and Neural Systems. Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown. Lisbon, October 2018.
John F. Wehmiller (Geological Sciences): Geological Society of America National Meeting, Indianapolis, November 2018 and the Geological Society of America Regional Meeting , Charleston, SC, March 2019.
2017 UDARF Research Fund Grants
The Research Fund Committee (Ronald Martin, Leslie Goldstein, Robert Taggart) has awarded grants of $715 to each of the following people:
Deborah C. Andrews (English): travel, registration and accommodations to present Academic maker spaces: Contexts for research on interdisciplinary collaborative communication at the annual meeting of the Association for Computing Machinery Special Interest Group on the Design of Communication (ACM SIGDOC) in Halifax, Canada, August 11-13, 2017.
Leslie F. Goldstein (Political Science & International Relations): travel and accommodations for the presentation of a paper at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, August 31-September 2, 2017.
Philip Goldstein (English): registration, travel and accommodations for the presentation of a paper at the American Literature Association Symposium, March 3-4, 2017.
David M. Mason (Applied Economics & Statistics): travel for the presentation of a paper at the Workshop on Levy Processes and Time Series in Ulm, Germany, September 11-15, 2017.
Marian Leif Palley (Political Science & International Relations): US travel and accommodations not covered by an organizational grant to present a paper at the Japanese American Women Political Scientists Symposium at Ocha University, Japan, May 2017.
John F. Wehmiller (Geological Sciences): travel and accommodations for the presentation of a paper at the Geological Society of America Meeting, March 30-31, 2017.
Rebecca Worley (English): travel and accommodations for the presentation of a paper at the Association for Business Communication conference in Dublin, Ireland, October 18-21, 2017.