University Archives and Records Management (UARM) may reproduce documents and images contained within the collections administered through the Archives Program for patrons provided that the materials are not damaged or incapable of being reproduced without incurring damage, and that this activity does not violate copyright law.
- The copyright law of the United States (Title 17 United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a patron makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. The University of Delaware reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
- Materials that can be reproduced on a copy machine/scanner without incurring damage are available to patrons as photocopies or PDF files.
- Digital images selected from the Image Collection are available as JPEG or TIF files. Additional digital imaging services, such as the creation of JPEG files from yearbooks or other publications, are available for patrons. Please inquire to determine the availability and cost of these services if desired.
- Reproductions of materials and images are free if the quantity requested is less than fifty items total. If the order is in excess of fifty items, contact UARM staff for pricing.
- The contents of files, boxes, collections, books, etc. will not be photocopied or scanned in their entirety for any patron. Only select resources contained within those items may be reproduced.
- Only UARM staff may photocopy or scan resources from its collections; this is done to ensure proper handling and protection of the materials.
- Personal cell phone cameras and digital cameras may be used by patrons to make copies of archival material for research use only. Use of this equipment must be approved by UARM staff.
- If you wish to obtain reproductions of materials for future publication, please inquire about obtaining permission for publication. Permission to obtain a photocopy, scan or other reproduction of materials contained within the collections administered through the Archives Program does not constitute permission to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publish, or make other protected uses of that copy as it is protected under the copyright laws of the United States. Permission to engage in such activity is not authorized unless expressly granted to the patron by UARM.
- The University of Delaware reserves the right to refuse reproduction work of all types to any and all patrons for any reason it deems appropriate.