APPLICATION DEADLINE – April 30th
The UDairy Creamery is seeking undergraduate students to serve as the Student Management Team for the Creamery for 2021-2022 school year. Information on these positions, including responsibilities and compensation, is found below. While schedules can vary, Interns will work at the Newark Creamery 5-10 hours per week for the first 6 weeks of the Fall 2021 semester (If the intern has not previously worked at the Creamery) and an additional 5-10 hours working on internship projects*. After training, interns will spend ~10 to 20 hours a week on projects, 3-4 of these hours must be completed at the Creamery.
Working during the summer of 2021 and Winter Session of 2022 is not required but is encouraged. All applicants will report directly to the Newark Management Team.
The Creamery Student Management Team as a whole is responsible for:
· Development: What’s next at the creamery? Products, marketing, events to attend, education etc.
· Knowledge: Representing the Creamery in a knowledgeable fashion. Becoming experts on our philosophy, mission statement, and partnerships.
· Goal setting: Creating goals for interns and employees. Maintaining employee spirit and passion for the Creamery mission.
Applications are due by April 30th, 2021. Applicants should submit the following materials electronically through Handshake:
(1) Application letter explaining interest and qualifications for the position sought
(2) Complete and up-to-date resume
(3) Copy of unofficial transcripts
(4) Two letters (or e-mails) of reference from individuals familiar with the applicant’s academic background, accomplishments, and suitability for a leadership and/or managerial position
Current interns may reapply by submitting (1) letter of interest and (2) copy of unofficial transcripts.
Food Science Intern- Ice Cream
The Food Science Ice Cream Intern is responsible for developing new ice cream flavors, perfecting current flavors and ensuring the student staff is trained properly to ensure the safest and highest quality product. This position works directly with Creamery Management to plan out ice cream flavors accordingly and order ingredients for test batches.
· Collect and create new ice cream flavors. Research and development different ice cream products or frozen desserts we may feature at the creamery
· Construct test batches and revise recipes based on feedback and research
· Ice cream and novelty product cost analysis
· Produce Nutritional Information for past and current flavors – learn Genesis to make nutritional labels as well as update any current records
· Create HACCP plan for ice cream production in current Creamery and for new plant (under construction)
· Assist with transitioning flavor releases in store and production as well as daily production schedules and inventory
· Train and observe production staff to address training needs for production efficiency
· Manage and help create the training, equipment maintenance and sanitation protocols for the Creamery
· Keep Flavor recipe guide updated and easy to read
Experience with Food science or food production is preferred. Most shifts are worked at Newark Creamery. Compensation is $12/hour.
Employee Training and Development Intern
The Human Resources Intern is responsible for employee training and retention for the Newark UDairy Creamery, Moo Mobile and Go Baby Go Café. This position works directly with Creamery management to ensure our team is producing the safest and best product possible and also providing the highest level of customer service. Our team is what makes the Creamery so special. It is this intern’s responsibility to ensure all of our team has the resources needed to be successful.
Duties include but are not limited to:
· Assist management in interviewing and hiring new employees
· Train new employees and student supervisors. Edit and complete training guides.
· Assist in developing Student supervisor training and orientation
· Create job descriptions
· Work one on one with new employees
· Develop, update and implement training guides, cleaning schedules, how to guides, etc.
· Edit employee handbook
· Work with management to conduct employee evaluations
· Conduct evaluations with employees
· Organize team bonding events
· Organize end of year formal
· Pursue employee feedback to make the creamery a better place!
Communication skills are a must. This intern MUST have prior experience working at the UDairy Creamery. Compensation is $12/hour.
UDairy Creamery Cheesemaking Internships –Fall 2019 & Spring 2020 Internships
College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
APPLICATION DEADLINE – August 30th, 2019
The UDairy Creamery is seeking 2-4 undergraduate students to serve as cheesemaking interns in the new Genaurdi Food Innovation Lab (GFIL) for the Creamery for the fall and spring semesters.
Interns must work 2 shifts per week, of at least 4 hours per shift during GFIL production days (Monday through Thursday).
The Cheesemaking interns assist with the development and production of UDairy Creamery Cheese at the Genaurdi Food Innovation Lab. The interns also play an integral hands-on role in developing the cheese flavors for resale by the UDairy Creamery as well as the cleaning and sanitizing of the equipment and facility. Depending on hours available, different tasks may be available including assisting in the QA lab. This position works directly with Creamery Management to plan out production timelines, plans, ingredients and batches. All interns will
- Assist in cheesemaking and fill out make-sheets
- Assist in keeping daily records up to date
- Observe and help maintain the Food Safety Plan including Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOPs)
- Assist with Food safety testing
- Assist in developing recipes and test batches for signature cheese under the UDairy Creamery name
- Assist with training other UDairy staff to work safely in cheese production area and/or QA testing Lab
- Be able to work independently and complete assigned tasks within timelines needed as may be required by regulatory authorities
- Heavy lifting, standing for long periods and strenuous movement should be anticipated
Experience with food science or food production is preferred. Compensation is $14/hour. Academic credit in lieu of pay can be arranged. Please make note if credit is desired when applying.
Applications are due by August 30th, 2019. Applicants should submit the following materials electronically to Melinda Shaw, Creamery Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
(1) Application letter explaining interest and qualifications for the position sought. Please include which semester you are applying for.
(2) Complete and up-to-date resume
(3) Class schedule for semester applying for
(4) Dates and times you will be available for interviews the week of September 2nd.
Current interns may reapply for following semesters by submitting (1) letter of interest and (2) course calendar for semester they are applying.
The UDairy Creamery is currently accepting applications through September 9th, 2016. We are looking for hard-working, dedicated, and enthusiastic University of Delaware Students interested in making and serving ice cream at our storefront and on our mobile unit. We are looking specifically for day-time availability during the Fall 2016 semester. Please get your application in soon!