UDairy Creamery Cheesemaking Internships –Fall 2019 & Spring 2020 Internships
College of Agriculture and Natural Resources
APPLICATION DEADLINE – August 30th, 2019
The UDairy Creamery is seeking 2-4 undergraduate students to serve as cheesemaking interns in the new Genaurdi Food Innovation Lab (GFIL) for the Creamery for the fall and spring semesters.
Interns must work 2 shifts per week, of at least 4 hours per shift during GFIL production days (Monday through Thursday).
The Cheesemaking interns assist with the development and production of UDairy Creamery Cheese at the Genaurdi Food Innovation Lab. The interns also play an integral hands-on role in developing the cheese flavors for resale by the UDairy Creamery as well as the cleaning and sanitizing of the equipment and facility. Depending on hours available, different tasks may be available including assisting in the QA lab. This position works directly with Creamery Management to plan out production timelines, plans, ingredients and batches. All interns will
- Assist in cheesemaking and fill out make-sheets
- Assist in keeping daily records up to date
- Observe and help maintain the Food Safety Plan including Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOPs)
- Assist with Food safety testing
- Assist in developing recipes and test batches for signature cheese under the UDairy Creamery name
- Assist with training other UDairy staff to work safely in cheese production area and/or QA testing Lab
- Be able to work independently and complete assigned tasks within timelines needed as may be required by regulatory authorities
- Heavy lifting, standing for long periods and strenuous movement should be anticipated
Experience with food science or food production is preferred. Compensation is $14/hour. Academic credit in lieu of pay can be arranged. Please make note if credit is desired when applying.
Applications are due by August 30th, 2019. Applicants should submit the following materials electronically to Melinda Shaw, Creamery Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org:
(1) Application letter explaining interest and qualifications for the position sought. Please include which semester you are applying for.
(2) Complete and up-to-date resume
(3) Class schedule for semester applying for
(4) Dates and times you will be available for interviews the week of September 2nd.
Current interns may reapply for following semesters by submitting (1) letter of interest and (2) course calendar for semester they are applying.