Disney Professional Internships is currently looking for a Horticulture Intern to support the Golden Oak garden from June 2017 through January 2018.
A little about Golden Oak: The goal of Golden Oak’s vegetable garden development project is to bring only the freshest ingredients into the restaurant all while educating the guest in the agricultural process. We utilize the talents of the Horticulture team at The Land at Epcot to follow their growing principles that have found great success over the past years at Walt Disney World.
Candidates must be enrolled in school, or have graduated within the past six months to be eligible. For more information and to apply for this internship, click on the following link: Golden Oak Horticultural Internship – Fall 2017
Summer Farming/Homesteading Internship 2016 With The Experimental Farm Network and Erb Food and Garden
Do you want to learn about seed saving and plant breeding? Build your existing organic farming, gardening, and permaculture skills? Help create the foundation for a perennial plant propagation business focused on wild, native, and edible plants? Improve upon your carpentry skills by helping to build a tiny home?
The Experimental Farm Network is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and breeding resilient plant varieties for a changing climate. Erb Food and Garden is a permaculture design business focused on creating edible and regenerative landscapes. Together we are seeking a qualified individual (or the right pair of people) for a summer internship– to work with us and learn a variety of farming and homesteading skills. Food and housing will be provided.
- 4-5 work days per week, 32 hours work per week
- 2-3 days working at an heirloom seed farm
- 2 days working on homesteading skills
- Typical seed farm tasks include: weeding, mulching, planting, hand-pollinating, seed harvesting and processing, irrigation management
- Typical homestead tasks include: organic gardening, perennial woody & herbaceous propagation, edible landscaping, and tiny house construction
Qualifications & Requirements
- 1-2 years of relevant experience suggested: farming, environmental education, community gardening, building etc.
- Relevant high school, trade school, university and/or college experience in horticulture, agriculture, design, or construction are helpful though not required
- Desire and motivation to increase horticultural and sustainable living skills. We are looking for a team player that is excited to work with us
- Ability to lift 40lbs and work in many different weather conditions
- Basic carpentry, building, and maintenance skills are a big plus, though not a requirement
- Ability to learn quickly and follow directions as well as give creative input
- A reliable vehicle for transportation is helpful, though not required. 2-3 days a week you will work at our farm site in Elmer, NJ and transportation will be provided.
What we will provide:
- 2 months of free rent in a room at our homestead, for the duration of the internship
- Hands on experience with the following skills:
- Organic farming and annual vegetable cultivation
- Heirloom seed saving and breeding
- Regenerative design and edible landscaping
- Tiny house construction, and general carpentry
- Perennial woody/herbaceous plant propagation
- Introduction to small non-profit and business operations
- Further opportunities to plug into local farming, permaculture, community gardening, and sustainability happenings
- Access to the Experimental Farm Network’s growing seed collection
- For the individual – all food in house will be covered, but we cannot accommodate specialized diets.
- For pairs of people – $150 monthly stipend will be given for food.
The internship will be from June 14th, 2016 – August 12th, 2016
Our homestead, where your room will be, is located in Westville, NJ a 15-20 minute drive to Philadelphia. Our farm is located outside Elmer, NJ.
Interested individuals should send a PDF cover letter, resume, and 2+ references to firstname.lastname@example.org
We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the information on our websites to learn about what we are doing:
Experimental Farm Network www.experimentalfarmnetwork.org
Erb Food and Garden www.erbfoodandgarden.com
Applications still being accepted.
Interested applicants should contact Katharine Maroney at email@example.com as soon as possible.