The New Jersey Green Industry Council (NJGIC) is continuing the scholarship program initiated by the New Jersey Agribusiness Association in memory of Edward A. Platz. This program promotes the tri-state area’s Agriculture and Green Industry students and assists them with their education.
Edward A. Platz is the founder of Plant Food Company, Inc. (originated under a different name) in 1946. He was very involved in the Turfgrass and Agriculture Industry, starting the first Liquid Fertilizer Formulation Company in the state. Mr. Platz passed in 1977.
Applicants to the New Jersey Green Industry Council Scholarship Program must be…
· Enrolled at any accredited 4-year college or university in the United States when receiving the scholarship
· Possess an academic rank of sophomore, junior, or senior at that time
· Applicant must be majoring in an Agriculture or Green Industry subject area (i.e. Plant Science, Animal Science, Agronomy, Entomology, Ornamental Horticulture, Golf Management, Nursery, etc., or related field)
· New Jersey resident
· Demonstrate an intention of pursuing a career in production, agriculture, or the Green Industry
The NJGIC will award two (2) $1500.00 scholarships in memory of Edward A. Platz. Payment will be made September 23rd at the NJGIC Annual Golf Classic at Forsgate Country Club. Attendance is not a considering factor in determining the scholarship awardees.
Procedures and Deadlines
Applicants must submit the following…
· Completed application
· Official copy of transcripts from all colleges attended
· Two (2) letters of recommendation with at least one academic letter. Letters of recommendation are to be sent directly to the Executive Director of NJGIC.
· A 1-2-page typed essay stating current education and career goals
· A one-paragraph answer to the following question, “What has been your most important extra-curricular activity, your most important contribution to it, and what has your participation in it meant to you as an individual?”
· All information must be postmarked no later than Monday, May 3, 2021.
Selection of Recipients
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, potential to succeed, leadership and participation in school, community, and personal activities, honors, statement of education and career goals, and an outside appraisal.
Final selection of recipients is made by the NJGIC Board of Directors. All applicants will be notified of the selection by June 4, 2021.
NJGIC Board of Directors reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of the Scholarship Program and make appropriate changes at any time.
Questions regarding the NJGIC Scholarship Program as well as all applications and letters of recommendation should be addressed to:
NJGIC Executive Director
PO Box 166
Succasunna, NJ 07876