JOB TITLE: Undergraduate Summer Student Intern
LOCATION: Plum Beach Farm, Milton, Delaware
JOB STATUS: Full-time, 6-week to 12-week options
JOB SUMMARY: This position works under the direction of the Sow Farm Manager directly in production, both learning the sow farm operation and contributing to the successful production of piglets. Summer Student Intern performs duties in accordance with company policies and pursuing the mission of “Superior Production Systems.”
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE: Must be majoring in a course of study under the Agriculture Department; preferably Animal Science. Candidate must have completed minimum 2 years of undergraduate study.
Candidate must possess the following characteristics:
- Eager to learn and participate as team player in best practices in sow production
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to change a must
- Self-starter who can multi-task, prioritize, work independently
- Strong verbal communication skills
WORKING CONDITIONS / PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must be able to tolerate and willing to learn and perform the following tasks: euthanasia, vaccinations, piglet processing, ear tagging, tattooing, pressure washing and other procedures normal to animal husbandry.
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust, odors, and frequently noisy conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to climb over gates up to 48 inches in height.
- Position requires pushing, pulling, bending and kneeling.
- Position requires regular walking, standing, use of hands to handle, feel objects, tools, controls and animals.
- Occasional reaching with hands / arms; occasional climbing / balance required.
APPLY: Interested candidates should send resume to Brent Hershey, email@example.com