An interview with Joe Newberry kicks off The Music Room. He grew up in Missouri, moved to North Carolina after college, and never left.
Joe shared his experiences with us, talking about the people he collaborates with and some of his experiences playing around the country. Don’t miss his story about sharing the stage at the Carter Fold with Johnny Cash.
Joe plays with a lot of different folks, most notably Big Medicine, is very supportive of lots of different musical styles, is a songwriter just hitting his stride, and is now communications director for the North Carolina Symphony.
Interview with Joe Newberry (Recorded 9/11/13; originally aired 10/15/13. Host: Mandorichard) 29:31, 28.3 MB.
The following music appeared on this episode of The Music Room:
- Artist / Song / Album (or note) / Label (or source) / Date
- The Gibson Brothers / They Called it Music / They Called it Music / Compass / 2012
- Joe Newberry / I Know Whose Tears / Two Hands / 5-String Productions / 2005
- Big Medicine / What does the Lonesome Dove Say? / Pine to Pine / Yodel-Ay-Hee / 2009
- Joe Newberry and Mike Compton / Rocky Island / Live at the Brandywine Friends / self-produced / 2012
- Craver, Hicks, Watson, and Newberry / Piney Mountains / You’ve been a Friend to Me / Barker / 2012
- North Carolina Symphony, Grant Llewllyn, Music Director / Rehearsal for Beethoven’s Symphony number 9 / YouTube posting / www.ncsymphony.org / 2013