Keep devices and data secure by following the Secure UD Essentials best practices.
Install and update
- Install or update your anti-virus software on your devices.
- Update your browser to the latest version. Install additional browsers such as Firefox or Chrome as a backup plan.
- Turn on automatic software updates on your device.
Hackers are taking advantage of public anxiety about COVID-19 by sending fake messages that appear to be from the World Health Organization and other authorities regarding work-from-home guidance, local outbreaks, or charitable solicitations.
- Beware of phishing and other scams that will take advantage of panic, etc.
- Do not click on links or open attachments from emails that look suspicious.
- Forward suspicious emails to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Learn more at www.udel.edu/security.
Turn off smart speakers (Amazon Echo, Google Home, Apple HomePod, etc.)
Studies have shown that although smart speakers are only supposed to start recording when they hear a key phrase, they are always listening to detect those phrases (which means they’ll pick up any conversations or sounds in range). To ensure that any Zoom calls or other verbal conversations stay private, unplug your non-essential, home-use smart speaker or remove that speaker from the room.