The most difficult part of my research project so far has been picking a side. Obesity is obviously a huge problem in our country which carries with it the question: who is responsible, society (the food industry) or the individual? When you think about people’s health, your first thought is it is always their choice and in their control. But is it? Through advertisements, toys in McDonald’s Happy Meals, and manipulative branding it is hard for people to think clearly and really know what they are getting themselves into. When companies brand products as “healthier” and “better for you”, most people, including myself would believe them without a second thought. If food companies are allowed to post that, than we generally assume it must be true, right?  

Meme #1

After exploring both sides of the argument, I came to the conclusion that although the choice is ultimately up to the individual, we are not in a position where we can make the right choices between what is actually good for us and what isn’t. This might seem a little extreme, but it is almost as if the food industry is brainwashing us. Going back to the McDonald’s example, by offering a toy from a popular movie, kids are going to want to eat the food to get the toy. This is wrong! McDonald’s also uses professional sports players in their commercials to endorse their products. If your favorite NBA player is eating McDonald’s, you are probably going to want to eat it too.

Meme #2

After struggling with picking a side for my argument, I think I came out of it with stronger reasons about why I feel it is more the food industry rather than the individual. I also think that by looking at both sides of the argument I will be able to come up with strong counter-arguments to help support my paper.

2 thoughts on “Difficulties in Research

1. Bailey Wilkinson

Savannah,

I really enjoyed your blog and your memes (especially the “aint nobody got time for that” one)! I had the same problem as you, I could not pick a side! I agree with you that the food industry is more at fault than the individual for obesity problems. Like you said, advertising plays a huge role in America’s consumption of unhealthy foods which ultimately leads to obesity. However, there is also definitely evidence to prove that individual people are at fault for their own obesity and their decisions to eat unhealthy. Something I would consider is, the fact that there are people who are working multiple jobs may have to eat on the go because they just don’t have time for a meal at home so they have to eat at unhealthy fast food places. Or families that don’t make a lot of money may feel that they can only afford to eat of off McDonald’s dollar menu. These are other things I would consider adding to your paper. Overall, I really enjoyed reading both your essay and your blog.

Best of luck,
    Bailey

Reply
    1. Morgan

Savannah,
      I have read your blog the past few times because I am also researching obesity so I can relate to how hard it is to pick a side of who is to blame. I first off loved your memes; they fit in perfectly with your blog. As I said before I understand how hard it is to pick a side, I still have not completely sided with one argument. I agree with you about how the food industry is partly to blame. And that they may be more at fault then the individuals themselves. I liked how you used the example of how McDonalds and how they tricks people into eating their food by offering a toy or have a celebrity endorse it. I recommend really looking in depth to argue for both sides. Or maybe look at the price factor or why people choose to eat fast food. Other than that I think your blogs are interesting and you’re on the right track!

Morgan

Reply