Agent Letter: August 2019

Dear 4-H Families,

This summer has been filled with lots of 4-H activities and events.  Two weeks of State 4-H Camp, Environmental Camp at Ashland Nature Center and the Exchange Group visited Stillwater, Montana.  Other events included the Delaware State Fair and Georgetown Day Camp.

With the new 4-H year starting in September, there are lots of exciting activities and events to look forward to.  Coming up in September our regular monthly meetings begin again.  We also have the Archery Safety Training/Shoot, Coastal Cleanup, Dairy Club and Robotics Club Meetings and our County Achievement Event.  Our county program is growing and we are excited to meet new members, leaders, and families!

Thank you to the clubs who submit a club reports each month, please keep them coming!  Be sure to submit your club news to Tammy or myself by the 25th of each month.  Include a fun activity, projects completed, and photos of your club in actions.  We love to see and share what each club is doing!

Our own Tammy Schirmer participated in the Pig Kissing Contest at the Fair for the second year in a row!  She was the contestant who received the most monetary donations and got to kiss the pig!  Overall, $13,000.00 was raised for this contest.   A message from Tammy:  I want to thank everyone who supported me towards the Pig Kissin’ Contest whether it be contributions or part of my cheering team.  I was the top fundraiser raising $3546.  My goal was $3000.  You all helped me surpass this goal!  I greatly appreciate this.  It’s a pleasure raising these monies knowing 100% of it is awarded for college scholarships.  This is our future!  It delights me to know I’m helping our youth.

During this busy time and throughout the year, please remember to check your email and the online newsletter regularly for news and updates.  Be sure to sign up for events (county and statewide) by the posted deadlines.  Please feel free to call, email, or visit my office if you have any new ideas, suggestions, or concerns about 4-H programming.  I am always willing to listen and love hearing new ideas for our members and clubs!

Enjoy your last few weeks of summer!

Yours in 4-H,
Jill Jackson
Extension Educator, 4-H
jackson@udel.edu