Letter from the Agent – September

Dear Sussex County 4-H Family,

Welcome to a new “4-H Year”!    As the new Sussex County 4-H Agent, let me begin by telling you a little bit about myself.  I currently live in Bridgeville with my husband, Aaron (Sussex 4-H alumni) and our two children, Logan & Emorie.  I grew up in Sussex County 4-H.  I had wonderful experiences working with other members and leaders and taking projects such as Photography, Child Care, Computers, Leadership, and Citizenship.  I loved being a counselor at the Day Camps and Younger Member Weekend and participating in National 4-H Congress.  When I graduated high school, I became a member of the Links and continued to work with 4-H as a volunteer.  I received my Bachelor’s Degree in Family and Community Services from the University of Delaware and my Masters of Education in School Counseling from Wilmington University.  In 2009, I started working full-time with 4-H as an Extension Educator with the Botvin Life Skills Drug Prevention Program, going into schools and other programs to teach about tobacco, drug, and alcohol prevention and important life skills.  I have also been an advisor for the Jr. Leaders and helped with many county events.  I have always aspired to be the Sussex County  4-H Agent because I love working with youth and their families.  4-H is a wonderful organization and I can’t wait to help Sussex County 4-H’ers learn many important skills while having fun.

I have many new ideas to help our current and new members have successful 4-H careers.  I will be sharing some of these ideas at the Leader, Jr. Leader, and Links Meetings.  Please feel free to call, email, or visit my office if you have any new ideas, suggestions, or concerns about Sussex 4-H programming.  I would also like to schedule times to visit each club at a monthly meeting.  This will help me learn more about what you are doing outside of county-wide events.  Organizational Leaders, please send your club meeting date, time, and location to Tammy Schirmer (tammys@udel.edu).  Let’s start a great year with open-minds and focus on what 4-H is all about, Making the Best Better!

Looking forward to a wonderful 4-H year!
jill signature

Jill Jackson,
Extension Educator, 4-H