Have You Been Referred to BASICS?
BASICS is a program offered by Student Wellness & Health Promotion that helps you to explore your alcohol and drug use in a non-judgmental environment. The program’s goal is to reduce risky behavior and the harmful consequences of alcohol and other drug abuse.
Make an Appointment for BASICS
Any student can schedule a BASICS appointment by calling our office: (302) 831-3457. If you are required to attend BASICS, you will receive an e-mail with instructions to schedule online. Space is limited, so schedule early to meet your deadline for completion. Failure to do so will result in additional sanctions and fines if you are referred through Student Conduct.
Learn More About BASICS
What is BASICS?
BASICS stands for Brief Alcohol Screening and Intervention for College Students. It is a tool that uses personalized feedback and motivational interviewing to assist students in reducing high-risk drinking behavior. It increases students’ motivation to change high-risk behavior and encourages students to make more positive choices for their health and wellness.
Who is BASICS for?
Any student who would like to know more about their alcohol or drug use can choose to attend BASICS. Additionally, students who violate the University’s policies related to alcohol and drugs are required to attend BASICS. BASICS is a program that helps you examine your use, identify changes that could work for you, and reduce your risk of future problems. It is not therapy or substance use treatment.
What happens in BASICS?
In BASICS, you will complete an online assessment, creating a personalized profile of your substance use. Substance Use counselors will talk with you about these results, helping you identify consequences of your choices and explore ways to reduce risks. Your counselor will also review common myths and facts about alcohol, and teach strategies to moderate use.
“[BASICS] made me realize my drinking might be out of hand sometimes.” – student reported feedback
Common BASICS Questions:
We’ve collected some of our most frequently asked questions about BASICS. Click the toggles below to read the answers. Call our office: 302-831-3457 if you have any additional questions.
Is there a cost to attend BASICS?
Where is BASICS located?
Who will know I've attended BASICS?
How long is BASICS?
- BASICS 1 consists of one 50-minute session (a small-group experience followed by your completion of an online questionnaire) and one 50-minute individual session in which you review your personalized feedback with a prevention specialist. These sessions are scheduled at least one week apart from each other, and cannot be completed in the same week.
- BASICS 2 consists of two 50-minute individual sessions with a prevention specialist, and still includes the completion of an online questionnaire during the first session.
- BASICS 3 involves four individual sessions, and includes the completion of the online questionnaire.
How will Student Conduct know my sanction is complete?
Harm reduction strategies used by 90% or more of BASICS for Greeks participants:
- Planned for a safe way to get home
- Chose not to drink even though I could have
- Knew where my drink had been at all times
- Assisted someone else with getting home safely
- Refused to ride with someone who had been drinking or was high
Additional BASICS Resources
If you are interested in learning more about the BASICS program and some of our most recent data and statistics for the campus, you can check out our BASICS Fact Sheet. Click the button below to download a .pdf copy of this resource.