Positive Press: A bibliographic archive of news articles about Student Wellness and Health Promotion
You can use the Table of Contents to the left to jump to specific academic year in order to access articles that have been featured in different news outlets such as UDaily and the UD Review that highlight work from our office.
Academic Year 2019 – 2020
- SOS and CRC Part of Student Life Advisory Board: After the reorganization of the Cabinet of Student Leaders (CoSL), some of our student leaders are now serving on the Student Life Advisory Board — Our team member, Jodi Drake, who writes for the Division of Student Life Newsletter, covered the changes to CoSL and the appointment of two of our student leaders (one from SOS and one from CRC) to serve on the reconfigured advisory board.
- Jodi Drake, one of our administrative assistants wrote a UDaily article about the first annual Student Life conference. Two of the interviewees/attendees are also members of our staff.
- SWHP Counselor Amy Richardson featured in UD Review Article about Adderall misuse: Not just a pick-me-upper: Adderall and the struggles of student substance use.
- FIRST BLUE HEN RE-COOP DAY OFFERS MINDFUL PAUSE: Students, staff, faculty take a break to prioritize wellbeing — The University of Delaware paused classes for the first “Blue Hen Re-Coop Day,” on Oct. 11, during which members of the campus community were encouraged to prioritize their wellbeing “for one minute, one hour or one day” and commit to healthier habits.
- A HOLISTIC COMMUNITY: The Wellbeing Center at Warner Hall will provide enhanced resources for student health, wellbeing — Recently decommissioned as a University of Delaware residence hall, the building will continue to build upon Warner’s legacy while establishing an inclusive and vibrant space for today’s students as the newly repurposed Wellbeing Center at Warner Hall, home to UD’s counseling, health promotion services and wellbeing engagement.
- TWO YEARS OF PREVENTION EXCELLENCE: EVERFI, UD leadership celebrate successes in efforts to prevent substance misuse and sexual assault — The University of Delaware community celebrated the receipt of a second national award for prevention work in December, marking two consecutive years of outstanding progress in the areas of alcohol and other drug misuse prevention and sexual misconduct prevention.
Academic Year 2018 – 2019
- UD Magazine Article Highlights “The Journey of Recovery” — The Collegiate Recovery Community is featured prominently in the latest issue of the UD Magazine. The article focuses on how partnership on campus and in the community, and in one’s personal life, help to strengthen the support network that is crucial in helping a person pursue a sober life by living in recovery.
- Breaking new ground, and earning recognition: We’re excited to share that one of our Program Coordinators for Sexual Violence, Matt McMahon, along with colleague, Noemi Murphy of OISS, have received a Bright Initiative Award from the Division of Student Life for their sexual violence prevention program designed to meet the needs of international students studying at UD. Matt and Noemi have presented their program at the NAFSA Region VIII conference and were invited to present at the National Institutes of Health, as well as other universities and colleges in the US and Canada.
- UD Review covers activities during Mental Health Awareness week, which Student Wellness helped facilitate: Mental health week takes over campus with a series of events.
- UD Review covers the Wellness Speaker Series: Ryan Sallans – Message to students, “Honor Your Truth.”
Academic Year 2017 – 2018
Spring 2018 from UDaily
- GO GREEN FOR ST. PATRICK’S DAY: Campus Wellbeing Collaborative helps Blue Hens celebrate spring in healthy ways – The Campus Wellbeing Collaborative, which was created in fall 2017 to coordinate programming, support partnerships and establish a unified vision of health and wellness throughout the University of Delaware, is offering a full slate of spring programming for all Blue Hens to enjoy from March 9-18, such as Student Wellness’ annual Shamrock Fest.
- WELLNESS CAMPAIGNS SPRING TO LIFE: Spring student wellness initiatives emphasize data driven dialogue – The University of Delaware staff and students behind the annual Spooktacular party are back, with a fresh slate of events for the spring semester that emphasize data driven dialogues, such as the Wellness Speaker Series. Overarching themes for spring Student Wellness and Health Promotion initiatives define wellbeing as a holistic endeavor — one that includes thinking critically about one’s own daily habits, adopting safer behaviors, and learning practices that enhance community wellbeing.
- FOR THE RECORD: University community reports recent publications, presentations, honors – For the Record provides information about recent professional activities and achievements of University of Delaware faculty, students and alumni. Matthew McMahon, prevention specialist in Student Wellness and Health Promotion, will deliver a presentation with Noemi Murphy, assistant director of the Office for International Students and Scholars.
- SEXUAL ASSAULT AWARENESS MONTH: Activities scheduled to raise awareness, provide education on prevention – The University of Delaware will observe national Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) throughout April with various events and activities to raise awareness of sexual misconduct and gender-based violence and to educate the campus community on how to prevent it, such as Denim Day and #RedMyLips cosponsored by Student Wellness.
- LISA RIZZO OPENS THIRD ANNUAL STUDENT WELLNESS SPEAKER SERIES: Monthly series invites discussion on stigma in the workplace, depression, dating violence, and overcoming physical disability – The Promoters of Wellness (POW) peer education program will be hosting its third annual Wellness Speaker Series this spring. Rizzo is an entrepreneur and founder of Challenge U. softball, an elite private softball training facility. She developed her own sports mechanic training system called Challenge U. Drill Interval Training
Academic Year 2016 – 2017
UDaily Fall 2016
- UD Helpline: 302-831-1001
- Overdose Awareness
- All Recovery Yoga Kick Off
- National Recovery Month
- Fishbowl and Snackchat
- Haunted Homecoming
- kNOw MORE Campaign Impact on Campus
- Haunted Homecoming: Part II
UD Review Fall 2016
UD Review Spring 2017
- Bystander Initiative – Faculty Senate Vote
- Shamrockfest: Alcohol Free Alternative for St. Patrick’s Day
- Wellness Speaker Series: Kevin Hines – Surviving Suicide
- Wellness Speaker Series: Josh Robbins – Staying Positive While HIV+
- Wellness Speaker Series: Bria and Chrissy – Speak Out Against Revenge Porn