Access Procedure for the Student Machine Shop & Design Studio
(For those that need to retake the quiz for the 2018-19 academic year, perform steps 2 through 4 below.)
The Student Machine Shop and Design Studio are available to University of Delaware Students, Staff, and Faculty only.
1. Register on FOM (Instructions). If you have already registered for FOM, skip this step. You only need to register for FOM once during your time at UD. Once you are registered, FOM is ONLY for reserving shop equipment. All training and other information are on the Shop website.
2. Watch the the following five videos on the Student Shop UD Capture site:
Video 2: Operation of the Band Saw
Video 3: Operation of the Miter Saw
Video 4: Operation of the Drill Press
Video 5: Operation of the Sanders
3. Read the three safety modules on the shop website. Links to each of these document modules are:
Step 3: Hand and Power Tool Training
Note: Be sure to write down the confirmation code or phrase within each document. You will need these codes to pass the online quiz. These codes may change daily.
4. Take the Online Shop Safety and Procedures Quiz and pass with a score of 100%. The link to the quiz is in the safety training documents. You may retake the quiz until you pass.
5. Once you pass the Online Shop Safety and Procedures Quiz, you can use your UD Student ID to access The Student Machine Shop (104 Spencer Lab), and rest of The Design Studio (109 and 134 Spencer Lab). When entering The Student Machine Shop (Room 104), always check with a Machinist first prior to doing anything.
6. If you are in a MEEG or BMEG course requiring use of The Student Machine Shop or The Design Studio, your instructor will coordinate training on specific pieces of equipment in these locations.
Milling Machine, Metal Lathe, and Welding Training can be obtained by signing up for a training session through the Student Shop web site – see the Shop calendar for upcoming training sessions (http://sites.udel.edu/studentshop/calendar/). Click on the Training session you want, and then click LEARN MORE for the online sign up link.
Remember, you must have reviewed the Basic Shop and Hand and Power Tools Safety Training materials first, and passed the Online Safety Quiz before signing up for additional training. Signing up for training in advance is required. These sessions are limited to 4 to 6 people – so sign up early!
IF YOU DON’T SHOW UP FOR YOUR REGISTERED TRAINING SESSION, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SIGN UP FOR TRAINING AGAIN FOR 30 DAYS! CANCELLATIONS SHOULD BE AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE THE SESSION.
7. Once you have completed training for the Mill, Lathe, or Welding either through a class project or a training session offered on the shop calendar, you can log onto FOM to reserve shop machines or check machine availability. The Milling Machines, Lathes, and Welding Equipment must be reserved in advance. Refer to the Shop Layout for equipment locations. You will not be able to reserve these machines if you haven’t had the machine-specific training.
8. Undergraduate and graduate students working on a research project must bring a signed Request for Services form to the Student Machine Shop prior to initiating any work. The form must be signed by your research (faculty) advisor or the Business Administrator for the department or research center affiliated with the research project. The form must also contain the purpose (account) code to be charged for the work being performed in the shop. A new Request of Services form must be provided at the beginning of every month.
9. There is a $10 per hour charge for student use of the Student Machine Shop and the equipment in the shop for all research related work.
10. Use of the 3-axis Mazak milling machine operated by a machinist in the shop will result in a $48 per hour charge for all course, student club, and research related work.