Amnesty FAQs

If you do not see a particular question below, or would like further information about any of the answers, please contact us.
If help is needed, should I call the RA or 911?

Help can be called by either calling 911 or the RA on duty. If you call 911 please stay with the person in need of assistance until help arrives. If you call the RA, you should follow any instructions you receive from them. Of course, you should also follow any instructions you receive from UDPD or the EMTs once they arrive.

If a student goes to the hospital how do they get home?

Staff at the hospital (the primary hospital is Christiana Hospital, which is about a 15-minute drive from campus) can call UDPD and they will send someone to pick up the student and return the student to campus.

If I am a Good Samaritan but have also been consuming alcohol or using drugs, will I get in trouble?

No. Good Samaritans also qualify for amnesty. The Office of Student Conduct will determine if the Good Samaritan should meet and receive further educational intervention following an incident.

What happens after I submit my Amnesty application?

You will get an email from the Office of Student Conduct with a scheduled meeting date. You will attend the meeting and discuss the incident that occurred. You will work with a member of the Office of Student Conduct to create an educational intervention plan that meets your needs.

Many times a student will attend BASICS as part of the educational intervention plan. More information can be found here.

Will my parents find out?

Any student who receives Amnesty and is financially dependent on a parent or guardian will have a letter sent home. This letter includes information regarding the amnesty protocol, including the educational actions involved. The letter is a way to provide support for the student to ensure their academic success. Students are encouraged to share information regarding the incident with their parents or guardians before this letter is sent.

What if I forget to fill out the Amnesty application?

If you forget to fill out the application, you will have the opportunity to complete this during your meeting with the Office of Student Conduct or be rescheduled for a later date to give you time to do so.

Will I have a permanent conduct record with the University?

If a student receives Amnesty they will not have a disciplinary record with the Office of Student Conduct. Documentation regarding the incident will be maintained by OSC to aid in future discussion if necessary.

This information can be shared within the University if an office on campus requests specific information regarding Amnesty. Information regarding Amnesty cases would never be shared outside the University.

Can I receive Amnesty more than once?

Yes, there is no limit to the number of times a student can receive Amnesty. The Office of Student Conduct does recognize that a student who needs help through Amnesty multiple times may require resources and services to help the individual learn and heal outside of what the University can offer.

Is there Amnesty off campus?

Yes, the Newark Police Department has a drug and alcohol Amnesty policy. Always call for help in an emergency.

Is there a cost involved with Amnesty?

Students who receive Amnesty will not receive a fee through the Office of Student Conduct. Any costs incurred outside the University (i.e. ambulance, hospital) would be the responsibility of the student.

How does Amnesty work for clubs and organizations or Fraternity and Sorority Life?

All student organizations on campus are eligible for Amnesty. More information can be found in the Amnesty Protocol here.

What about Amnesty and sexual assault?

Amnesty is granted if a student reports being a victim of sexual misconduct while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. For more information about victims’ rights in sexual misconduct cases, please see the Sexual Misconduct Policy (section VI). Counseling and support for victims is also available from SOS (Sexual Offense Support).