Women’s Lacrosse decides to part ways with Kateri Linville

by Dan Rosenfield

Kateri Linville will no longer be the head coach of UD’s Women’s Lacrosse team after finishing her ninth season as head coach

During her nine seasons, she has compiled a record of 79-75 (28-28 CAA) with four CAA Tournament appearances, but her teams have not won a CAA Tournament game.

Linville had two players selected to try out for the U.S. National Team in Caitlin McCarthy and Jamie Schwartz under her leadership. The former head coach played at Delaware from 1999-2003 and was apart of the 2000 squad that won the America East championship to make the NCAA Tournament and finished 12th in the final NCAA polls.

Former Head Coach Kateri Linville from Blluehens.com

“Becoming a head coach at my alma mater was an honor I will always cherish,” Linville commented in a quote from Bluehens.com. “They say home is where the heart is – Delaware is a place I will always call home. I am forever grateful for my time here as both a player and a coach. I wish the team all the best moving forward.”

Linville helped Delaware Women’s Lacrosse become the first athletic team to partner with a B+ Hero Abby Supplee, who is in remission after battling leukemia. Linville made Abby an honorable team member, giving her her own locker. They have participated in UDANCE together, and helped Abby “graduate” from the program.

Before coming to Delaware as head coach, Linville was an assistant coach at Notre Dame. She was named the head coach at Delaware in 2010. Her first two seasons, she had losing records, before claiming five straight seasons of winning records. The last two seasons, the teams were 8-10 and 7-10 respectively.

“I want to thank Kateri for her dedication to the University of Delaware and her student-athletes,” Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation Chrissi Rawak said in a quote from Bluehens.com. “Kateri and her student-athletes have always represented us the right way and cared deeply for the University and this community. However, at this point, we felt it was necessary for us to provide new leadership for our program moving forward.”

A nationwide search for the next head coach has begun.