Support and Counseling
24 Hour Assistance:
- On-campus confidential support is available by phone 24 hours/day with trained S.O.S. Victim Advocates. To contact S.O.S., call the UD Helpline 24/7/365 at 302-831-1001, and press 1. The clinician will take a first name and phone number and the Victim Advocate on duty will call you back within 10 minutes.
- In New Castle County, the YWCA’s Sexual Assault Response Center offers rape crisis services similar to those provided by S.O.S. for anyone who calls at 1-800-773-8570.
- In Kent & Sussex Counties, ContactLifeline offers rape crisis services at 1-800-262-9800.
- RAINN, Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, offers a national hotline, by phone at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673) and through online chat.
- The LoveIsRespect.org provides 24/7 assistance for dating & intimate partner violence at 1-866-331-9474, through text – text loveis to 22522, or through online chat.
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline provides 24/7 assistance for dating, intimate partner & domestic violence at 1-800-799-7233.
Counseling, Advocacy & Support Groups:
- One-on-one appointments for support, crisis intervention, ongoing advocacy, and follow-up care regarding sexual assault, intimate partner violence, sexual harassment, or stalking are provided by professional Victim Advocate/Counselors at Student Wellness & Health Promotion. To make an appointment with a professional advocate/counselor at Student Wellness, schedule online via Student Health Service’s scheduling system (choose Victim Advocacy), or call 302-831-3457 during business hours.
- Survivors’ Empowerment Support Group (re: Sexual Assault and Intimate Partner Abuse) offered each Spring semester at Student Wellness & Health Promotion. To find out more or get involved with the next group, call 302-831-3457. Group closes after 2 sessions, so calling earlier in the semester is recommended.
- Counseling is available at Center for Counseling and Student Development located at 261 Perkins Student Center. No appointment needed — just walk in for an appointment. Or call for information at 302-831-2141.
- If you are struggling with sexual abuse that occurred during childhood, you may wish to contact SOAR, Survivors Of Abuse in Recovery, at 302-655-3953. SOAR offers both individual and group counseling and functions on a sliding-fee scale for those without insurance.
- Professional advocates at Student Wellness or staff at the Counseling Center can make referrals to counselors in private practice in the community who specialize in these topics. Call Student Wellness & Health Promotion at 302-831-3457 or the Counseling Center at 302-831-2141.
- Often it helps to tell someone you trust such as a close and trusted friend, parent, or other family member about the assault. Having a system of support is very important for survivors after a sexual assault.