• To contact an SOS Victim Advocate, call the UD Helpline 24/7/365 at 302-831-1001 and press 1. The clinician will check to make sure you are safe, then take a first name & phone number and have an Advocate call you back within 10 minutes.


Reporting Options

**Call 911 if you are in danger or in need of medical attention.**

For incidents that occurred ON CAMPUS:
  • You may report the incident directly to University Police, 911 or 302-831-2222, who would take a report, investigate, and present the case to the Attorney General’s Office for possible criminal prosecution by the State of Delaware. If you report to UD Police, the initial report would likely be taken by a patrol officer, and then you would be contacted later for a more in-depth interview with a detective who will conduct the investigation. You may request a female officer; however, based upon staffing and scheduling of women officers, they may not be able to assure you that a woman will respond, and there may not be any female detectives to conduct the investigation. UD Police can also put you in touch with a Victim Services Officer to assist you.
  • Sexual assault, intimate partner violence, sexual harassment, and stalking are violations of the University’s Sexual Misconduct Policy and you have the option to report the behavior or file a formal complaint with the University’s Title IX Coordinator at the Office of Equity & Inclusion. You can read all about about the sexual misconduct process including your reporting options, the steps and options after reporting, interim measures available to you, on and off campus resources, your rights, and more. You are allowed to have two support persons present with you during meetings or interviews throughout this process. One of those people may be a Professional Advocate from Student Wellness & Health Promotion.  An advocate can answer your questions about what to expect and help you feel more at ease with the process.
  • In the residence hall, your Resident Assistant or Residence Hall Coordinator may complete an Incident Report and/or help you to contact University Police. You may also complete your own Incident Report about the attack. You can opt not to have your name listed on the Incident Report if you choose not to report the crime, but a Residence Life professional staff member would be informed of your identity for purposes of follow up assistance. If you wish to report to UD for a formal case, the Incident Report would likely be used in the sexual misconduct case.
  • All faculty and most staff at the University are required to report known incidents of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator, including names of victims and perpetrators if they are known. The Sexual Misconduct site explains who are confidential and non-confidential resources on campus.
For incidents that occurred OFF CAMPUS:
  • If your assault occurred off-campus in Newark and you want to press criminal charges against the perpetrator, call 911 indicate the location of the crime.  The dispatcher will determine which police agency to send to you to take a report.  Most areas of Newark fall under the jurisdiction of the Newark Police Department however there is a small area under the jurisdiction of the New Castle County Police Department. UD Police have jurisdiction for those crimes committed on University of Delaware property. Police agencies have an obligation to take any crimes presented to them to the Attorney General’s office, even if the victim does not wish to pursue a criminal case. Ultimately it is the decision of the AG’s office whether or not the case will be dropped or charges will be pressed against the alleged perpetrator.
  • Similarly, if your assault occurred elsewhere in New Castle County, dial 911 and they will send an officer from the appropriate jurisdiction to take your report.
  • If the assault happened off-campus but both victim and perpetrator are affiliated with UD, you have the right to initiate a UD Sexual Misconduct case against the perpetrator.  A professional advocate from Student Wellness can explain how this process works, set up a meeting for you to talk with the Title IX Coordinator, and accompany you throughout the process.  Or you can contact the Title IX Coordinator directly by calling 302-831-8063 or by emailing titleixcoordinator@udel.edu.
  • Once the Title IX Coordinator receives an Incident Report, a Title IX report, or a direct report from a victim, they will reach out to the victim via email to offer campus resources and options.
Additional Reporting Information:
  • If you are considering filing a report and pressing criminal charges (now or in the future), it is important that you consider going to the hospital asap for a forensic examination so that evidence may be collected to assist in a criminal case. While the desire to shower may be powerful, refrain from showering or disposing of clothing, which likely contain forensic evidence to support a criminal case. Take the clothes you wore during the assault to the hospital with you, and you may wish to take along a fresh change of clothing.
  • It is also helpful to report to police as soon as you are able.  An officer may take an initial report, and then a detective investigating your case may follow up with you to do a longer interview in the next couple days. (It is normal for additional details to come to light after a few days, especially after a trauma.)
  • An S.O.S. advocate can answer questions you have about this process, provide support and a listening ear, and inform you about all of your options as you prepare to make these important decisions. Call the UD Helpline at 302-831-1001 and press 1. The clinician will take a first name and phone number and the Victim Advocate on duty will call you back within 10 minutes. If you prefer an advocate who is not affiliated with UD, in New Castle County you can contact the YWCA’s Sexual Assault Response Center at 1-800-773-8570. In Kent & Sussex Counties call ContactLifeline at 1-800-262-9800. Services provided by these organizations are strictly confidential.
  • Victims who file a police report within 72 hours (whether the case is pursued by the Attorney General’s Office or not) are eligible to have financial compensation for medical expenses, counseling expenses, lost wages from work time missed, and some other expenses paid by the Victim’s Compensation Assistance Program. A professional advocate at Student Wellness & Health Promotion can assist with the application form, sign off on the application, and assist with the process. Make an appointment by calling 302-831-3457 during business hours.
  • For more information about the state’s Victim/Witness Assistance Program as well as the legal process, visit Delaware Attorney General. The Attorney General’s website also includes Delaware’s Victim’s Bill of Rights. If the crime did not occur in Delaware, you may want to check out your home state’s Attorney General’s Office or District Attorney’s office for information accurate to your situation.
Alternate Option for Reporting Sexual Harassment:
  • If the sexual harassment you experienced took place in the workplace and/or was perpetrated by other employees where you work in Delaware, you can report it to police.  Another option you may want to consider is reporting to the State of Delaware Department of Labor.  Learn more about how to file a complaint.

Comments are closed