• To contact an SOS Victim Advocate, call the UD Helpline 24/7/365 at 302-831-1001 and press 1. The clinician will check to make sure you are safe, then take a first name & phone number and have an Advocate call you back within 10 minutes.

Housing Options

Housing Options

Interim Measures

If you are reporting an incident of sexual misconduct to the University and are opting to engage in the process as a complainant, the University can offer you a number of Interim Measures.  A standard measure that is taken is to issue a Mutual Ban from Contact to both parties, prohibiting any form of contact (direct, phone, email, text, social media, through a 3rd party, etc.).  The ban is intended to enhance safety and prevent additional harm.  Complainants may wish to seek Emergency Housing, a permanent room or hall change, or release from a rental lease.  A professional advocate at Student Wellness & Health Promotion can assist you throughout the reporting process and with pursuing these options.   You can make a report directly to the Office of Equity and Inclusion.

Emergency Housing

Whether it is about your safety and needing to be in an undisclosed place, the social fallout of the community being aware of what happened, or taking a few days to collect yourself and regroup after an incident, there may be a number of reasons that you might need or wish to seek temporary Emergency Housing.  To learn more, speak with an S.O.S. Advocate via our 24 hour crisis service, or contact a professional advocate at Student Wellness during business hours.

Additional Housing Options
  • If you live ON CAMPUS in a University Residence Hall, and your assailant lives nearby, the staff in your hall may be able to facilitate an expedient move for your safety and well-being. An S.O.S. Advocate can help facilitate this process or you can see your Residence Hall Coordinator for more information about your options. They may also be able to assist you in reaching some of the other resources mentioned in this website. You can  call the S.O.S. 24 hour number to have a Victim Advocate assist you in seeking Emergency Housing whether on or off campus.
  • If you rent an apartment OFF CAMPUS and you have experienced a sexual assault or dating or domestic violence, you have both short-term and long-term relocation options. You may be a candidate for on-campus Emergency Housing, or to utilize a DV Shelter in Delaware. To learn more, call the S.O.S. 24 hour service to speak with a Victim Advocate. An Advocate can assist you in seeking these services and securing transportation. In addition, Delaware’s Tenant-Landlord code (§ 5314. Tenant’s right to early termination) allows victims to terminate their lease agreement without financial penalty if they have been victimized in their residence. There are requirements to seeking lease termination, including that a professional advocate or counselor must write a letter verifying the eligibility. Furthermore, the code offers legal protections for survivors (§ 5316. Protection for victims of domestic abuse, sexual offenses and/or stalking).  To speak with a professional advocate about this option, contact Student Wellness & Health Promotion at 302-831-3457 during business hours or make an appointment online.
  • If you are concerned that you may be in danger of physical abuse or sexual assault by a current or former intimate partner and you don’t wish to utilize campus advocacy, you may wish to call Delaware’s Domestic Violence Hotline at 302-762-6110. Hotline staff can provide you with information about area shelters where you can go as a temporary safe place to stay. The hotline staff will be able to answer questions you have about utilizing shelter and other services offered. A friend may call for you to gather information, but ultimately the hotline staff member will need to speak with the victim directly.
  • If you think that you are in a potentially abusive or violent relationship but you aren’t sure, or you think you may have experienced a sexual assault, you can call S.O.S. and speak to an advocate 24 hours/day to discuss your concerns, learn about options, and get referrals to helpful resources. Or make an appointment with a professional advocate.  If you are in immediate danger, call 911 for police assistance.

Comments are closed