Current Graduate Researchers
Yifang (Eric) Zhang, CS Education
Minji Kong, CS Education
Matthew Frazier, Software Engineering
Eeshita Biswas, Software Engineering
Preetha Chatterjee, Software Engineering
Current Undergraduate Researchers
- Kostadin Demevski, Associate Professor, Virginia State University
Sara Sprenkle, Associate Professor, Washington and Lee University
Alumni – PhDs
Irene Manotas Gutierrez, 2017, Developing a Software Engineer’s Energy-Optimization Decision Support Framework,
(Co-advisor: James Clause), (IBM Research).
Cagri Sahin, August 2017, Empirically Investigating Energy Impacts of Software Engineering Decisions, (Co-advisor:
Xiaoran Wang, May 2017, Exploring Action Unit Granularity of Source Code for Supporting Software Maintenance,
(Co-advisor: Vijay Shanker), (Samsung).
Antonios Danalis, May 2013, A Vertically Integrated Approach to Improving Communication Performance in Clusters,
(Co-advisor with Martin Swany), (Univ of Tennessee).
- Giriprasad Sridhara, January 2012, Automatic Generation of Descriptive Summary Comments for Methods in Objectoriented Programs (IBM Research, India).
Emily Gibson Hill, August 2010, Integrating Natural Language and Program Structure Information to Improve Software
Search and Exploration (Assistant Professor, Drew U.).
Ben Breech, August 2008, Testing Security Mechanisms for Program-based Attacks via Dynamic Compilers (Army
- Mike Jochen, May 2008, Mobile Code Security through Static Program Analysis, Steganography, and Program Fingerprinting, (Assoc Professor, East Stroudsburg U.)
Sara Sprenkle, August 2007, Strategies for Automating Exposing Faults in Web Applications, (Associate Professor,
Washington and Lee University).
David Shepherd, August 2007, Natural Language Program Analysis: Combining Natural Language Processing with
Program Analysis to Improve Sofware Maintenance Tools, (Co-advisor with K. Vijay-Shanker), (ABB Corporate Research).
Sreedevi Sampath, May 2006, Cost-effective Techniques for User-session-based Testing of Web Applications, (Associate
Professor, University of Maryland at Baltimore County).
Alban Douillet, May 2006, Loop Nest Software-Pipelined Multithreaded Cellular Architectures, (Co-advisor with Guang
Dixie Hisley, December 2003, Program Analysis and Optimization of Explicitly Parallel OpenMP Programs, (Army
- Tom Way, May 2002, Scalable Procedure Restructuring for Ambitious Optimization, (Assoc Professor, Villanova University).
- Amie Souter, May 2002, Context-driven Testing of Object-Oriented Software Systems. (Audible).
Cheer-Sun Yang, May 1999, “Program-based, Structural Testing of Shared Memory Parallel Programs,” (Associate
Professor, West Chester University).
James B. Fenwick, Jr., May 1998, “Compiler Analysis and Optimization of Linda Parallel Programs,” (Associate
Professor, Appalachian State University).
- Mark Chu-Carroll, May 1997, “Programming Language and Compiler Support for General Purpose Parallelism,” (Research Scientist at Twitter).
- Cindy Norris, May 1995, “Cooperative Register Allocation and Instruction Scheduling,” (Associate Professor, Appalachian State University, recipient of NSF CAREER award, 1996).
Alan Carle, April 1992, “A Class of Hierarchical Attribute Grammars: Incremental Evaluation and Applications,”
Dept. of Computer Science, Rice University.
Alumni – MS Students
- Tedis Agolli, 2018. Co-advisor: James Clause.
- Ningjing Tian, 2017.
- Abhijeet Srivastava, 2016.
- Shiyi Chen, 2016.
- Vallary Singh, 2015.
- Rithika Gogineni, 2014.
- Aditi Garg, 2014.
- Divya Muppaneni, 2013.
- Samir Gupta, coadvised with Shanker, 2012-2013.
- Amrutha Thotakura, 2012.
- Harish Tungaturthi, coadvised with Shanker, 2012.
- Suparna Gundagathi Manjunath, 2010-1011.
- Poonam Chawla, 2010-2011.
- Divya Muppaneni, 2009-1/2011.
- Kishen Maloor, “Exploring Novel Natural Language Clues in Source Code,” 2007-2008
Alumni – Undergraduate Researchers
- Humpher Owusu, 2019-2020.
- Brian Phillips, 2019-present.
- Minji Kong, 2018-2020. (Honors Thesis)
- Crystal Conroy, 2018-2019.
- Qilin Ma, 2017-2018.
- James Skripchuk, 2017-2018.
- Ben Gause, 2016-2017.
- Hunter Hedinger, 2016-2017.
- Zachary Senzer, 2013-2017, Senior Honor’s Thesis completed 2017.
- Michael Dillon, 2015-2016.
- Rachel Kraft, 2015.
- Danielle Wegrzyn, 2014-2015.
- Rebecca Kowalski, 2014-2015.
- Ryan Serva, 2014-2016.
- Brittany Gradel, 2013-2014.
- Matthew Howard, 2012-2013.
- Casey Casalnuovo, 2011-12; Senior Thesis, 2013.
- Austin Cory Bart, Seniors Thesis, 2011-12.
- Michelle Allen, REU, 2010, 2011.
- Sana Malik, Science and Eng Scholar, 2009-10, Honors Thesis 2010-11.
- Camille Cobb, CRA-W DREU, 2009.
- Carrie Hopkins, CRA-W DREU, 2009.
- Katie Baldwin, CRA-W DREU, 2009.
- Jonathan Schall, Science and Eng Scholar, 2009-10.
- Eric Enslen, Science and Eng Scholar, REU 2009-10.
- Lucy Simko, Washington and Lee University, summer 2008.
- Haley Boyd, Science and Eng Scholar, REU 2008.
- Yana Novikova, “Integrating Information Retrieval with NLP for a Program Navigation Tool, 2007, Indpt study 07.
- Meilani Williams, CRA DMP summer 2007.
Holly Esquivel, Visor, “A Visualization Tool for Web Application Testing,” summer 2006, CRA Distributed Mentor
Barbara Hazelwood, “A Visualization Tool for Web Application Testing,” summer 2006, CRA Distributed Mentor
Zachary Fry, “Investigating the Use of Verbs in Programs Using Dynamic Program Analysis,” 2007-2008, Honor’s
- Magnus Johan Jonsson, “Extending Open64 for Optimizing Computation-Communication Overlap,” 2006.
- Sue Lister, “Investigating Natural Language Pattens in Source Code,” 2006.
- Stacey Ecott, “Fault-based Mutation Operators for Web Applications,” summer 2005, CRA Distributed Mentor Project.
Lewis Fishgold, “An Automated Approach to Improving Communication-Computation Overlap in Clusters,” Senior
Honors Thesis, 2005.
- Anteneh Addis Anteneh, “Adding Security Controls to Dynamically Optimized Mobile Programs,” Senior Thesis, 2005.
Ki-Yong Kim, “Exploring Applicability of a Vertically Integrated Approach to Optimizing Cluster Parallel Programs,
Senior Thesis, 2005.
- Mike Tegtmeyer, “Novel Impact Analysis Algorithms,” independent study, 2005.
Frank Zappaterrini, “Logging Web Application Usage,” independent study, 2005.
Lewis Fishgold, “Program Fingerprint Comparison Algorithms,” Science and Engineering Scholar, summer 2003-spring
Anteneh Anteneh, “Constructing a Canonical Form of a Program Fingerprint,”Science and Engineering Scholar, summer
- Carol Reiley,“A Program Slicing Tool for Parallel Programs,” summer 2003, CRA Distributed Mentor Project.
- Michael Brennan, “Building a Program Representation for Mobile Code Fingerprinting,” 1/2002-present.
Emily Gibson, “Building a Model of Frame Structure and Interaction for Web Sites, summer 2002, CRA Distributed
- Michael Tegtmeyer, “Building an OpenMP Compiler,” Independent Study, spring 2002, summer 2002-present.
- Margarita Golod, “Characterization Study of Web Programs,” Independent Study, winter 2002.
- Matt Bridges, “Program Slicing of Parallel Programs,” Honor’s Thesis, 2001-2002.
Veselin Stoyanov, “Investigating Partial Redundancy Elimination for Explicitly Parallel Programs,” Honor’s Thesis,
Jean Mohammadi-Aragh, “A Tool for Evaluating Testing Coverage”, summer 2001, CRA Distributed Mentor Project.
Laura McGlade, “Testing of Web Applications,” summer 2001, CRA Distributed Mentor Project and University Science
and Engineering Scholar.
- Nina Bawa, “A Preprocessor for a Software Testing Tool for Object-oriented Programs,” spring 2001.
Tiffany Wong and Stacey Shindo, “Software Testing for Object-oriented Programs,” CRA Distributed Mentor Project,
- Matthew Bridges, “Graphical Tool for Region Graphs,” 2000, University Science and Engineering Scholar.
- Veselin Stoyanov, “From Region Profiling to Path Profiling,” 2000, University Science and Engineering Scholar.
Will Lowe, “Profiling Irregular Applications on a Multithreaded Architecture,” Honor’s Thesis, University of Delaware,
- Sara Sprenkle, “Static Analysis of MPI Parallel Programs,” CRA Distributed Mentor Project, summer 1998.
Amie Souter, “Design and implementation of a graphical display tool for intermediate program representations,” Honor’s
thesis, Bucknell University, and summer 1995 research project.
Amy McGovern, Design and implementation of an instruction scheduler with reverse IF conversion, mentee as part of
CRA Distributed Mentor Project, summer 1994.
Amie Souter, Design and implementation of an intermediate code translator, mentee as part of CRA Distributed Mentor
Project, summer 1994.
Greg Tietgen, senior at the University of Delaware, Implementation and experimental study of effective register
allocation-sensitive software pipelining, NSF REU Supplement, Fall 1994 – January 1995.