University of Delaware Alternative Breaks

Meet the Spring 2021 Site Leaders

Appreciating Appalachian Culture and Addressing Rural Poverty

Appalachia Service Project – Jonesville, VA

Carly Sullivan

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is having an opportunity to educate myself about social justice issues outside of a classroom setting alongside peers who both challenge and encourage me to grow.”

Emily Magoon

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being a part of a community of like-minded students who are passionate about social change!”

Sowing the Seed for Healthy Lifestyles: Food and Nutritional Insecurity

AMI Farm at Augusta Health – Fisherville, VA

Megan Muench

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the opportunity to learn from different perspectives within our community at UD and other communities!”

Jenna Constantino

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is how it can bring together an ecletic group of people bound together by serving both their community & other communities :)”

Planting for the Future: Environmental Education and Stewardship

Apple Ridge Farm – Roanoke, VA

Abby Huebler

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is that it fosters so much growth and learning and brings together an amazing community of students.”

Elena Hu

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is EVERYTHING.”

Breaking Down Borders: Supporting the Refugee and Asylum Seeker Experience in the US

BCCC Youth Refugee Project – Asylee Women Enterprises

Brittany Connely

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being able to connect with communities different from my own with the mindset of learning more about the challenges these groups of people face and how we, as a larger community, can work together towards a more just and equitable society.”

Sydney Peterson

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is how it really allows you to take a step back and discuss topics that sometimes may be uncomfortable for you. It encourages you to push past judgements and look at the how’s and why’s of certain communities.”

Reframing the Narrative: Autism Acceptance and Neurodiversity

Camp Royall – Moncure, NC

Nasir Young

He / Him / His

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the opportunity to work with people who share similar values as me. I love that UDaB provides endless learning opportunities through mutually beneficial service!”

Processed with VSCO with a5 preset

Izzy DeFrancesco

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is that it allows us to become part of and learn about another community for a whole week!”

Access and Equity in the Cass Community of Detroit

Cass Community Social Services – Detroit, MI

Jen Cirollo

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is continually learning and growing through mutually beneficial service and being a part of the UDaB community. UDaB has by far been the most influential part of my college experience!”

Erin Potter

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the people you meet within the community you are working with as well as the other students from UD!”

Restoring the Chesapeake Bay: Exploring Policies and Fighting Environment Discrimination

Chesapeake Bay Foundation – Annapolis, MD

Lauren DuPlessis

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is meeting new people who are passionate about service!”

Sam Burrows

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is how mutually beneficial it is; I learn so much while I am helping others.”

Unpacking Nutritional Access: Food Insecurity and Chronic Illness

Community Servings – Boston, MA

Silpa Annavarapu

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is learning about social justice issue areas through mutually beneficial service.”

Rachel Salkovitz

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is getting to be around like minded individuals with a passion for change.”

Digging Deeper: Conserving Roots of the Cumberland Trail through Environmental Stewardship

Cumberland Trails Conference – Dayton, TN

Emily Morgan

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is that the people are passionate about many different social justice areas so there is always something new to learn, but there is still the basic commonality of caring about social justice issues that connects everyone.”

Kimberly Raines

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is exploring similarities and celebrating differences with members of communities while performing mutually beneficial service.”

Not Just a Gay Man’s Problem: Exploring Historical Roots and Contemporary Advocacy of the HIV/AIDS Epidemic

Gay Men’s Health Crisis – New York, NY

Ananya Garg

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being able to learn from and grow with people who are passionate.”

Dana Wilkins

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the community! Getting to talk to and learn from people as passionate about service and social justice as I am!”