University of Delaware Alternative Breaks

Meet the Site Leaders

SPRING 2020 PROGRAMS

Appreciating Appalachian Culture and Addressing Rural Poverty

Appalachia Service Project – Jonesville, VA

Carly Sullivan

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is having an opportunity to educate myself about social justice issues outside of a classroom setting alongside peers who both challenge and encourage me to grow.”

Rachel Northrup

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being a part of a community of like-minded students who are passionate about social change!”

Sowing the Seed for Healthy Lifestyles: Food and Nutritional Insecurity

AMI Farm at Augusta Health – Fisherville, VA

Megan Muench

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the opportunity to learn from different perspectives within our community at UD and other communities!”

Sarah Tyms

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is how it can bring together an ecletic group of people bound together by serving both their community & other communities :)”

Planting for the Future: Environmental Education and Stewardship

Apple Ridge Farm – Roanoke, VA

Abby Huebler

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is that it fosters so much growth and learning and brings together an amazing community of students.”

Lucy Qi

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is EVERYTHING.”

Breaking Down Borders: Supporting the Refugee and Asylum Seeker Experience in the US

BCCC Youth Refugee Project – Asylee Women Enterprises

Marissa Del Vecchio

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being able to connect with communities different from my own with the mindset of learning more about the challenges these groups of people face and how we, as a larger community, can work together towards a more just and equitable society.”

Shaista Macan-Markar

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is how it really allows you to take a step back and discuss topics that sometimes may be uncomfortable for you. It encourages you to push past judgements and look at the how’s and why’s of certain communities.”

Reframing the Narrative: Autism Acceptance and Neurodiversity

Camp Royall – Moncure, NC

Julianna Danese

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the opportunity to work with people who share similar values as me. I love that UDaB provides endless learning opportunities through mutually beneficial service!”

Samara Kalmus

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is that it allows us to become part of and learn about another community for a whole week!”

Access and Equity in the Cass Community of Detroit

Cass Community Social Services – Detroit, MI

Cailin Shallow

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is continually learning and growing through mutually beneficial service and being a part of the UDaB community. UDaB has by far been the most influential part of my college experience!”

Kate O’Hara

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the people you meet within the community you are working with as well as the other students from UD!”

Restoring the Chesapeake Bay: Exploring Policies and Fighting Environment Discrimination

Chesapeake Bay Foundation – Annapolis, MD

Erin Jackson

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is meeting new people who are passionate about service!”

Sam Burrows

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is how mutually beneficial it is; I learn so much while I am helping others.”

Unpacking Nutritional Access: Food Insecurity and Chronic Illness

Community Servings – Boston, MA

Jessie Bolton

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is learning about social justice issue areas through mutually beneficial service.”

Kristin Smith

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is getting to be around like minded individuals with a passion for change.”

Digging Deeper: Conserving Roots of the Cumberland Trail through Environmental Stewardship

Cumberland Trails Conference – Dayton, TN

Danielle Fisher

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is that the people are passionate about many different social justice areas so there is always something new to learn, but there is still the basic commonality of caring about social justice issues that connects everyone.”

Mark Switliski

He / Him / His

“My favorite thing about UDaB is exploring similarities and celebrating differences with members of communities while performing mutually beneficial service.”

Not Just a Gay Man’s Problem: Exploring Historical Roots and Contemporary Advocacy of the HIV/AIDS Epidemic

Gay Men’s Health Crisis – New York, NY

Andrew Bochnovich

He / Him / His

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being able to learn from and grow with people who are passionate.”

Abby Farkash

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the community! Getting to talk to and learn from people as passionate about service and social justice as I am!”

Deconstructing Systems: Housing Insecurity in Sussex County

Habitat for Humanity – Sussex County, DE

Kaleb Frey

He / Him / His

“My favorite thing about UDaB is both the sense of community that is created between all participants, and the connections that are made with the members of the communities that we work alongside.”

Michaela Dougherty

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is seeing participants transform over the year-long experience.”

Deconstructing Systems: Housing Insecurity in Susquehanna

Habitat for Humanity – Susquehanna, MD

Derek Alford

He / Him / His

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the community that is formed, and mutually beneficial service.”

Lauren DuPlessis

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the opportunity its given me to meet some of the most empowered, like-minded, passionate, and fun to be around people. They always push me to be the best version of myself for our community which is why I’m so thankful for everyone involved.”

Reopening the Doors to Opportunity: Developing Community after Substantial Job Loss

H.O.M.E – Orland, ME

Francesca Capucciati

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is it’s strong sense of community, and that no matter who you are or what you believe in, we all share the same goal, to immerse ourselves in service.”

Maureen French

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is how much you learn from the community you go to, from your fellow participants, from the site-leaders, and from the executive board. Each UDaBer shares in a unique educational experience here on campus and on their program.”

Habitat for Humanity: Housing Insecurity in Forsyth County

Habitat for Humanity – Winston-Salem, NC

Abby Addvensky

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being a part of a community that shares a love for service and making a difference in the lives of others.”

Ananya Garg

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is how we have built a strong community of compassionate and cognizant students who look for opportunities to engage in mutually beneficial service and learn about important social justice issues. We are always ready to learn from one another and help each other achieve a better understanding of the world and communities we live in.”

Ezra Rudinoff

He / Him / His

“My favorite thing about UDaB is that the community embraces open-mindedness and is inclusive to all! Great space to be yourself with no judgement.”

Leah Sandford

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the sense of community that it provides. Being surrounded by peers who share my values is empowering and inspires me to be the best version of myself.”

Valuing Cherokee Voices: Cultural and Environmental Conversation

Once Upon a Time – Maryville, TN

Emily Stuebing

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is that it educates participants on social justice issues and provides the opportunity to learn from different communities.”

Raymond Smith

He / Him / His

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the way it brings together people from all walks of life to unite towards a common purpose.”

Reading Between the Lines: Literacy and Racial Injustice

Reading Partners – Baltimore, MD

Gillian Williams

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is stepping out of my comfort zone and learning through the process of growing.”

Liv Bowman

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is all of the connections made with people throughout the whole UDaB journey! : )”

Unpacking Complexities: The Juvenile Justice System through the Voices of Incarcerated Teens

SC Department of Juvenile Justice – Columbia, SC

Chor Lam

He / Him / His

“My favorite thing about UDaB is how it gives a whole new way to see the world and how you can have an impact on it.”

Kara Anderson

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the educational aspect of learning about social justice issues. UDaB has allowed me to learn so much that I would have never known before, and I am so grateful to have been a part of it during my time at UD!”

Hunger and Homelessness on the Hill: Direct Service and Advocacy in D.C.

The Pilgrimage – Washington, D.C.

Kim Begley

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being able to learn first-hand about communities that are different from mine that I probably would not have otherwise even been to.”

Meredith Scanlon

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being apart of a community that encourages and promotes social justice and that is filled with the best people ever!”

Growing Community: Local, Sustainable, and Equitable Food Systems

Urban Tree Connection – Philadelphia, PA

Emily Mongold

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the strong values-based community that it fosters and how much I have learned from my experiences and everyone in the organization.”

Hannah Etman

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being able to have hands-on experiences in communities that allow you to understand more about certain issue areas. It helps you gain more knowledge, become connected to a cause, and form important bonds with people you wouldn’t have known otherwise!”

Exploring Beyond “Thank You for your Service”: Valuing the Lives and Stories of American Veterans

American Legion Post 3 – Salem, VA

Chris Pfeifer

He / Him / His

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the sense of community that is created on this campus because of this organization.”

Katie Sherman

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is reflection.”

Soaring and Learning Together: Impact for Equitable Education and Resource Disparities

WINGS for Kids and Lowcountry Food Bank – Charleston, SC

Abby Palmer

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the amazing people we get to meet and work with.”

Claire Fitzpatrick

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is MUTUALLY BENEFICIAL SERVICE!!”

Navigating Identity and Intersectionality in the Steel City

Various Community Partners – Pittsburgh, PA

Emma Groman

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the ability to dive deep into social justice areas I’m passionate about while connecting with new people!”

Alexa Yuen

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the sense of community we have and how people from various and diverse backgrounds can come together through their shared interest for social justice to learn about and engage in mutually beneficial service for a community.”

Creating Comprehensive Solutions: Community Development in the Bronx

Part of the Solution (POTS) – Bronx, NY

Emma Lesnevich

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the community of like-minded, justice oriented students that I get to spend time and have meaningful conversations with.”

Helen Mae Lynch

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the community.”

Intersectional Program: Current Focus on LGBTQ+ Youth Empowerment and Homelessness

SMYAL – Washington, DC

Taylor Garbowski

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is that it’s a place of intentionality where people reflect on themselves and think past themselves to find a greater vision of community and social justice. A cherished opportunity to be educated, work for change and explore the possibilities with such diverse and driven hearts and minds.”

Izzy DeFrancesco

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is that it helps bring people together in a way that builds active citizenship and fosters a community of growth and development both in ourselves and our society.”

WINTER 2020 PROGRAMS

Camp Royall – Moncure, NC

Jordan Tauber

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being part of a service community of amazing individuals with similar values!”

Jessica Casino

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is making a positive and lasting impact in a community.”

Deconstructing Systems: Housing Insecurity in Durham

Habitat for Humanity – Durham, NC

Jake Pergolizzi

He / Him / His

“My favorite thing about UDaB is meeting all of the great people involved in the program!”

Katie Burgess

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is educating myself on social justice issues and then going to a specific community to participate in mutually beneficial service with a group of people who share similar values.”

Reading Partners – Baltimore, MD

Jenna Pluchino

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the opportunity to meet new people who share a passion for community service!”

Juliana Carton

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is being able to learn about different social justice issues directly from the communities we are working with.”

Food is Medicine: Nutritional Access and Serious Illness

MANNA – Philadelphia, PA

Lia Magliola

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is the community!”

Patricia Dunkak

She / Her / Hers

“My favorite thing about UDaB is learning from community partners and members about how to build a group of active citizens.”