2022 and to appear
- Ishii, K. and R. Tollan. Syntactic matching effects in the online processing of
intransitive subject relative clauses. To appear in Proceedings of the 52nd Meeting of the North East Linguistic Society.
- Tollan, R. and D. Massam. Licensing unergative objects in ergative languages: The view from Polynesian. Syntax, 25 (2), 242-275
- Tollan, R. and D. Heller. Pronoun resolution and ergativity: Effects of subjecthood and case in Niuean. Language, 98 (1),157-183.
- Yoo, M., S. Tomioka, and R. Tollan. NP types of distractors modulate the processing of English cleft sentences. Proceedings ExLing 2021: 12th International Conference of Experimental Linguistics.
- Tollan, R. and B. Palaz. Subject gaps revisited: complement clauses and complementizer-trace effects. Frontiers in Psychology: Language Sciences.
- Tollan, R. and L. Clemens. Syntactic ergativity as a constraint on crossing dependencies: The perspective from Mayan. Linguistic Inquiry.
- Clemens, L. and R. Tollan. Syntactic ergativity and word order in Tongic languages. Polynesian syntax and semantics, ed. by Lauren Clemens and Diane Massam.
- Cowper, E., B. Bjorkman, D. Currie Hall, R. Tollan, and N. Banerjee. Investigating the past of the futurate present. Syntactic Features and the Limits of Syntactic Change. Oxford University Press.
- Tollan, R. The role of the absolutive object in morphological accessibility. Linguistic Inquiry.
- Tollan, R. Subjecthood and unmarkedness in Niuean. In Paul, Ileana (ed.). Proceedings of the Twenty- Sixth Meeting of the Austronesian Formal Linguistics Association (AFLA). University of Western Ontario.
- Cowper, E. B. Bjorkman, D. C. Hall, R. Tollan, and N. Banerjee. Illusions of transitive expletives in Middle English. Journal of Comparative Germanic Linguistics. DOI: 0.1007/s10828-019-09110-z.
- Tollan, R., D. Massam, and D. Heller. Effects of case and transitivity on processing dependencies: Evidence from Niuean. Cognitive Science 1-14. DOI: 10.111/cogs.12736.
- Tollan, R. Unergatives are different: two types of transitivity in Samoan. Glossa: A Journal of General Linguistics 3(1), 35. 1-41. DOI: http://doi.org/10.5334/gjgl.223.
- Tollan, R. and W. Oxford. Voice-less unergatives: Evidence from Algonquian. Proceedings of the 35th West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics.
- Tollan, R. Unergatives and Split Ergativity in Samoan. Proceedings of the 46th Meeting of the North East Linguistic Society. GSLA: University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA.
- Tollan, R., Heller, D. Elvis Presley on an island: wh dependency formation inside complex NPs. Proceedings of the 46th Meeting of the North East Linguistic Society. GSLA: University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA.
2015 and previous
- Cowper, E., Hall, D., Bjorkman, B., Tollan, R., and Banerjee, N. There’s no future in Old English. 2015 CLA Conference Proceedings/Actes du Congrès de l’ACL 2015. (2015)
- Tollan, R. Book review. Jessica Coon (2013) Aspects of Split Ergativity. In Oxford Studies in Comparative Syntax. Oxford: OUP. Canadian Journal of Linguistics. (2014)
- Tollan, R. Basque as a Nominative-Accusative Language. 2013 CLA Conference Proceedings/Actes du Congrès de l’ACL. (2013)
- Tollan, R. Deriving Morphological Ergativity in Basque. Proceedings of the 1st Montreal-Ottawa- Toronto-Hamilton Syntax Workshop: McGill Working Papers in Linguistics, 23.1. (2013)
- Tollan, R. Inflectional Morphology and the loss of V to T raising in English. York Papers in Linguistics, series 12a. (2012)
- Tollan, R. Island Constraints and Extraction of Lexical Case marked DPs in Finnish and Turkish. York Papers in Linguistics, series 12a. (2012)
- Tollan, R. Basque in Western Europe: some arguments for a Vasconic substratum. Vernaculum: Journal of the University of York Linguistic Society. (2011)