About Newark, Delaware
Newark, Delaware is within convenient traveling distance of major cities such as Wilmington, Washington DC, Philadelphia, and New York City. Once you arrive in Newark, you will find that it has plenty to offer visitors.
Main Street, right near the University Green, is crammed with shops and restaurants to suit varied tastes. Please see the sidebar at right for more restaurant information. Nearby Christiana Mall can cover any tax-free shopping needs from books and clothing to outdoor supplies.
Scenic White Clay Creek offers a respite for any nature-lovers, as do the several trails that wind throughout Newark. The Pomeroy and Newark Rail Trail and the James F. Hall Trail are accessible to walkers and bikers; both pass through beautifully wooded areas.
The Newark Historical Society perches along the James F. Hall Trail near the train tracks. The museum itself is a piece of history, having been built in 1877; its exhibits cover the entire history of Newark, Delaware, from the 18th century to present. Both parking and admission are free, and the museum is open by special appointment.
All events for the PBL Workshop will be held on the University of Delaware campus in Newark, Delaware. Several printable campus maps are available. Specific buildings for this event include:
- Harker ISE Lab
- Pearson Hall
- Perkins Student Center
- Perkins Parking Garage
Both hotels run shuttles for their guests to campus, and both have nearby UD stops for campus buses, which are free. Both are about a 15-20 minute walk from our meeting rooms.
400 David Hollowell Drive
Newark, DE 19716
Embassy Suites by Hilton
Newark Wilmington South
654 South College Ave.
Newark, DE 19713
Airport Shuttle: Delaware Express Shuttle, 800-648-5466.
Newark, DE (NRK)
10 Mopar Drive
Newark, DE 19713
Campus Bus Service
UD Shuttle, 302-721-5072
Perkins Garage (Lot #4C)
Location: 401 Academy Street
Parking validation will be provided for participants from outside the University of Delaware.
- Ali Baba Middle Eastern Restaurant, 175 E. Main Street, (302) 738-1111
- Caffe Gelato, 90 E. Main Street, (302) 738-5811
- Deer Park Tavern, 108 W. Main Street, (302) 369-9414
- Home Grown Cafe, 126 E. Main Street, (302) 266-6993
- Iron Hill Brewery, 147 E. Main Street, (302) 266-9000
- Klondike Kates, 158 E. Main Street, (302) 737-6100
- Pachamama Rotisserie Chicken, 76 E. Main Street, (302) 738-3800
- Taverna, 121 E. Main Street, (302) 444-4334
- TGI Fridays (adjacent to Embassy Suites), 650 South College Avenue, (302) 737-3700