Protection of Minors on Campus
Program Registration Procedures:
The registration process, for the ability to run your event on UD’s campus, is intended to facilitate the protection of minors at programs, camps or other similar events, sponsored by University employees and/or volunteers, or Third Parties held on University property or in University facilities. Please follow the 6 steps below to register your event with the University:
Does this policy apply to my program/activity? “Program for Minors” (or Program) means any camp, clinic, event, class, or the like occurring on University property or using University facilities and sponsored by or organized on behalf of or in the name of the University that serves Minors without supervision by their parents or guardians, regardless of duration.
Step 1: Registration
- Name and contact information for program organizer;
- Description of program;
- Anticipated number and ages of participants; and
- Anticipated number of program staff
Step 2: Registration with DSCYF (Updated 6/19/19)
In compliance with DSCYF regulations, Youth Camps sponsored or organized by the University, and third-party Youth Camps conducted at the University, are REQUIRED to also complete a Registration for Youth Camp Delaware Justice Information System (DELJIS) Youth Camp Registration Form.
Please send the completed form via email to Ruth.Hess@delaware.gov or fax it to 302-633-5191.
DSCYF will return to the program coordinator a prefilled consent form assigned with an agency I.D. number.
If you have any questions about the DSCYF Youth Camp Registration process please call 302-892-5800
Step 3: Background Checks (Updated 6/19/19)
All program organizers must obtain a background check for themselves and each program staff prior to that person interacting with minors. A cleared background check, at a minimum must include:
A. A name-based Delaware criminal background check through the Delaware Justice Information System (DELJIS)*; and a Child Protection Registry Check through the Department of Services for Children, Youth and their Family (DSCYF)*
The prefilled consent form with agency I.D.# received from DSCYF (received following step #2) is to be completed by all volunteers and employees 16 and older. Submit forms via fax to 302-739-6285, via email to DELJIS_Clearance@state.de.us
B. An out-of-state criminal record check using private, third-party providers of such checks, provided that any out of state criminal record check shall include a Social Security trace search and county-based criminal record search in the counties in which the individual has resided within the past 10 years. For programs sponsored or organized by the University: Click Here and submit the requested information to Mark Williams, Background Check Coordinator, email@example.com. The subject line should include “Protection of Minors” and the program name.
For programs sponsored or organized by third parties: The University has a partnership with Sterling Talent Solutions. If you opt to utilize their services, click here for instructions.**
*NOTE: Item A. is completed through the State. DSCYF will review the application and then send it along to DELJIS for review. You will only hear from the State if a background check does not clear.
**NOTE: Item B. is conducted by Mark Williams, as noted above, for University sponsored events and Sterling Talent, or other chosen vendor, for Third Party sponsored events.
Step 4: Training
Step 5: Certification
No less than 7 days before the start of the program, the program organizer must certify the program by submitting the Program Certification Form. Certification requires the following items:
- A background check and training for each program staff. The program organizers must maintain a roster of the program staff and the completed requirements.
- The proper permission slips and/or release for each participant. The program organizer must maintain a roster of participants with the completed requirements.
- A detailed description of the sign-in and sign-out procedures for the program. Please type this into the certification form or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The number and ages of participants. Please type this information into the certification form.
Step 6: Approval
The Registration process is not complete until written approval from OEI has been received by the program.
Supervision of Minors:
- 1 staff member for every 5 participants ages 4 and 5
- 1 staff member for every 6 participants ages 6 to 8
- 1 staff member for every 8 participants ages 9 to 14
- 1 staff member for every 10 participants ages 15 to 17
Record Retention: The program organizer must maintain the records of background checks for program staff for a minimum of three years. The program organizer must maintain a roster of all participants for a minimum of three years.
Falsification of Background Check or Failure to Report:
- Standards of Conduct
- When Abuse is Suspected
- Program Registration Procedures 6.19.19 (printer friendly)
- Program Registration Form
- Program Certification Form
- Program Staff Roster
- Participant Roster
- Permission Slips/Release
- Requesting Background Checks- University Sponsored
- Juvenile Release Form for Background Check – University Sponsored
- Requesting Background Checks- Third Party