Protection of Minors on Campus
Program Registration Procedures:
The registration process, for the ability to run your event on UD’s campus, is intended to facilitate the protection of minors at programs, camps or other similar events, sponsored by University employees and/or volunteers, or Third Parties held on University property or in University facilities. Please follow the 6 steps below to register your event with the University:
Step 1: Registration
- Name and contact information for program organizer;
- Description of program;
- Anticipated number and ages of participants; and
- Anticipated number of program staff
Step 2: Background Checks
A. A name-based Delaware criminal background check through the Delaware Justice Information System (DELJIS)*; and a Child Protection Registry Check through the Department of Services for Children, Youth and their Family (DSCYF)*.
Consent Form to be completed by all volunteers and employees 16 and older. Submit forms via fax to 302-739-6285, via email to DELJIS_Clearance@state.de.us
B. An out-of-state criminal record check using private, third-party providers of such checks, provided that any out of state criminal record check shall include a Social Security trace search and county-based criminal record search in the counties in which the individual has resided within the past 10 years. For programs sponsored or organized by the University: Click here and submit the requested information to Mark Williams, Background Check Coordinator, email@example.com. The subject line should include “Protection of Minors” and the program name.For programs sponsored or organized by third parties: The University has a partnership with Sterling Talent Solutions. If you opt to utilize their services, click here for instructions.**
*NOTE: Item A. is completed through the State. DELJIS will review the application and then send it along to DSCYF for review. You will only hear from the State if a background check does not clear.
**NOTE: Item B. is conducted by Mark Williams, as noted above, for University sponsored events and Sterling Talent, or other chosen vendor, for Third Party sponsored events.
Step 3: Training
Step 4: Certification
- A background check and training for each program staff. The program organizers must maintain a roster of the program staff and the completed requirements.
- The proper permission slips and/or release for each participant. The program organizer must maintain a roster of participants with the completed requirements.
- A detailed description of the sign-in and sign-out procedures for the program. Please type this into the certification form or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The number and ages of participants. Please type this information into the certification form.
Step 5: Approval
Step 6: Registration with DSCYF
Please send the completed form via email to Ruth.Hess@state.de.us or fax it to 302-633-5191.
The DSCYF, Delaware Office of Child Care Licensing (OCCL) and the state Criminal History Unit will review it and, if approved, send you your letter of approval directly. If you have any questions about the DSCYF Youth Camp registration process please call OCCL 302-892-5800
Supervision of Minors:
- 1 staff member for every 5 participants ages 4 and 5
- 1 staff member for every 6 participants ages 6 to 8
- 1 staff member for every 8 participants ages 9 to 14
- 1 staff member for every 10 participants ages 15 to 17
Record Retention: The program organizer must maintain the records of background checks for program staff for a minimum of three years. The program organizer must maintain a roster of all participants for a minimum of three years.