SIMULATION RESOURCE CENTER
Welcome to the University of Delaware School of Nursing’s Simulation Resource Center (SRC) !
We are located in McDowell Hall and the brand new STAR Tower. Our Simulation program is designed to bridge classroom learning with real-life clinical experiences.
Simulation-based experiences are key to learners developing skills, communication, critical thinking/clinical reasoning. Simulation allows for learning objectives to be met through student oriented immersive experiences.
Staff – our experiences simulation specialists ensure the standards of best practice in HealthCare Simulation are met and desire to reach new heights to improve patient outcomes.
Labs – Our state of the art labs provide safe environments that reflect current patient care settings.
Resources – We use a combination of technology and patient actors to accomplish learning objectives and represent diverse backgrounds. Thin includes task task trainers, hi-fidelity mannequins, and human actors provided by our unique Health Care Theatre Program.
Interprofessional Education (IPE) – The University of Delaware Simulation program deliberately integrates collaborative practice competencies into student learning.
Lab Spaces – We have labs located in McDowell Hall and STAR Tower supplying environments for Med/Surg, Acute Care, Maternity, Pediatrics, Health/Psych Assessment, and Diversity. Take a look around to find out more!
Research – For more information check out the video in the top right of this page!
Maternal Child or Maternity Lab
- A 2-bed delivery suite designed to reflect a current maternal clinical setting.
- Innovative high-fidelity mannequins including: Gaumard’s VictoriaâChildbirth Simulator, Newborn ToryâNeonatal Care Patient Simulator, and Newborn HalâNewborn Patient Simulator
- Further immersion in the experience is provided by the Healthcare Theater Program which casts the scenarios with birthing mothers, patient family members, and support people. Live patients may even birth a baby themselves using the Laerdal MamaNatalieâBirth Simulator.
- Technology including audiovisual equipment for recording simulations used in debriefing, as well as computer workstations for online documentation.
Clinical Learning Lab
- Bed suites come equipped with Laerdal’s Nursing Anne task trainers, I/V equipment, functional patient headwalls with simulated oxygen/suctioning, and wall mounted computers for online documentation.
- Fundamental Skills include: vital signs, bed bath, toileting
- Advanced Skills include: trach care, suctioning, wound care, and medication administration.
High Fidelity Acute Care lab
- Mirrored suites joined together by a central control room with audiovisual technology along with a central briefing/debriefing area.
- Real hospital equipment.
- Two Gaumard Adult HAL® patient simulators.
- Home to some of our IPE simulations where nursing students and physical therapy students collaborate to evaluate patients and provide care.
- Mirrored suites are joined together by a central control room with audiovisual equipment along with a central briefing/debriefing area.
These inter-professional simulated experiences underscore clinical relationships, shared clinical skills, familiarity with other professional roles, and shared mental models to facilitate better patient outcomes.
University of Delaware inter-professional experiences include the following disciplines:
- Physical Therapy
- Athletic Training
- Behavioral Health and Nutrition
- Community health partners- Emergency Medicine Technicians, Police, and neighboring educational institutions