Mary Elizabeth (Libbey) Bowen, PhD
Accepting PhD Students
Dr. Bowen is a social gerontologist with interests in efficacy trials of health care technologies to inform translational research and system-wide implementation and health disparities research. Dr. Bowen received her PhD in the Sociology of Aging and Population Health from Virginia Tech and has a Certificate in Gerontology and Race and Social Policy. Using secondary databases, Dr. Bowen has examined how social determinants of health affect cognitive and physical functioning trajectories across the life span. In her VA Career Development Award, Dr. Bowen utilized innovative real-time tracking technology to show how intra-individual changes in ambulation characteristics are associated with imminent falls in a vulnerable population of older adults. In the School of Nursing at the University of Delaware, Dr. Bowen is funded by a VA Rehabilitation Research and Development award to continue this work, specifically focusing on the development of tailored nursing interventions for institutionalized older adults with cognitive impairment.
- Postdoctoral Training AHRQ T32 Fellow – Institute of Gerontology, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI
- PhD – Sociology, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- MA – Sociology, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- BA – Sociology and Women’s Studies, The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
University of Delaware:
- Integrated Health Care Delivery I
- Population Health II
- Population Health I
- Advancing the Health of an Aging Population
Bowen, ME. (Accepted). Monitoring Functional Status Using a Wearable Real-Time Locating Technology Nursing Outlook.
Bowen, M.E., Gaynor, B., Phillips, L. Orsega-Smith, E., Lavery, A., Mitchell, A., & Basehore, H. (2020). Factors Associated with Health Service Utilization Among Older Adults in a Mobile Veterans Program. The Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 46(5), 15-22. https://doi:10.3928/00989134-20200313-01
Bowen, ME, Rowe, M, Ji, M, Cacchione, P. A Research Proposal Testing a New Model of Ambulation Activity among Long-Term Care Residents with Dementia/Cognitive Impairment: The Study Protocol of a Prospective Longitudinal Natural History Study. BMC Research Notes; September, 2019; 12 (557); 1-10, doi.org/10.1186/s13104-019-4585-5.
Bowen, ME, Crenshaw, J, Kearns, W, Stanhope, S. Using a real-time locating system to measure walking activity associated with wandering behaviors among institutionalized older adults. Journal of Visualized Experiments, February, 2019; (144), e58834, doi.org/10.3791/58834.
Novello, S, Bowen, ME, Griffioen, M. A Stroke Reduction Health Plan for Older Adults in Rural Sussex County, Delaware. Delaware Journal of Public Health, 2018; 4(5); 62-67.
- Bowen, M. E., Crenshaw, J., & Stanhope, S. (2018). Balance Ability and Cognitive Impairment Influence Sustained Walking in an Assisted Living Facility. Arch Geron Geriatrics, 77, 133-141.doi: 10.1016/j.archger.2018.05.004.
Bowen, M. E., & Rowe, M. (2018). Wandering Behaviors and Activities of Daily Living among Older Adults with Cognitive Impairment. Rehab Nurs J. doi: 10.1097/rnj.0000000000000148
Bowen, M. E., Casola, A., & Coleman, C. (2018). Barriers to and Influences on Healthy Eating among Latino Immigrant Mushroom Farm Workers Utilizing a Community Food Cupboard. J Hunger Environ Nutr. doi:10.1080/19320248.2018.
Bowen, M. E., Rowe, M., Ersek, M., Ibrahim, S., & Shea, J. A. (2017). The Physical and Cognitive Performance Test for Residents in Assisted Living Facilities. [Evaluation Studies]. J Am Geriatr Soc, 65(7), 1543-1548.doi: 10.1111/jgs.14932
- Bowen, ME., Rowe, M. Intra-Individual Changes in Ambulation Associated with Falls in a Population of Vulnerable Older Adults in Long-Term Care. Archives of Phys Med & Rehab. 2016; doi:10.1016/j.apmr.2016.05.013.
- Rowe, M, Houston, A, Molinari, V, Bulat, T, Bowen, ME, Mutolo, S, McKenzie, B. The Concept Of Missing Incidents In Persons With Dementia. Healthcare.2015; 3(4): 1121-1132. doi:10.3390/healthcare3041121
- Barks, L, Luther, S, Brown, L, Schulz, B, Bowen, ME, Powell-Cope, G. Development and Initial Validity of the Seated Posture Scale. JRRD. 2015; 52(2): 201-210.
- Bowen, ME, Rowe, M, Hart-Hughes, S, Barnett, S, Ji, M. Characteristics of and Barriers to Functional Status Assessment in Assisted Living. Res Geron Nurs. 2015; doi: 10.3928/19404921-20150406-01 (ePub ahead of print)
- Bowen, ME, *Ruch, A. Depressive Symptoms and Disability Risk among Older White and Latino Adults by Nativity Status. J Aging Health.2015; doi: 10.1177/0898264315580121 (ePub ahead of print)
- Kearns, W, Jasiewicz, J, Fozard, J, Webster, P, Scott, S, Craighead, J, Bowen, ME & McCarthy, J. Temporo-spatial prompting for persons with cognitive impairment using a smart wrist-worn interface. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2013; 50(10):vii–xiv. http://dx.doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2013.12.0261.
- González, HM, Tarraf, W, Bowen, ME, Johnson-Jennings, MD, Fisher, GG. What do parents have to do with my cognitive reserve? Life-course perspectives on twelve-year cognitive decline. Neuroepidemiology. 2013; 41:101–109. doi: 10.1159/000350723.
- McKenzie, B, Bowen, ME, Keys, K, Bulat, T. Safe Home Program: A Suite of Technologies to Support Extended Home Care of Persons with Dementia. Amer J Alz Dis Oth Dem 2013; 28(4): 348-354. doi: 10.1177/1533317513488917.
- *Paulson, D, Bowen, ME, Lichtenberg, P. Does Brain Reserve Protect Older Women from Vascular Depression? 2013; J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. doi: 10.1093/geronb/gbt007.
- Bowen, ME, Wingrave, C, V, Klanchar, A, Craighead J. Tracking technology: Lessons learned in two health care sites. Tech Health Care 2013; 21 : 191-197.
- Applegarth, SP, Rowe, M, Kearns, W, Bowen, ME. Activation Thresholds and Operating Characteristics of Commercial Alarm Products that may be used to Provide Surveillance for Dementia Caregivers. Intl J Geron 2013; 11(3): 480-487.
VA 1 I50 HX003201-01 Quality Enhancement Research Initiative, 2020-2025. Role: Co-I
P30 NR016579 National Institute of Nursing Research, 2019-2020. Role: Co-I and Senior Mentor.
RX002413-01A2. VA Rehabilitation Research and Development Office, 2018-2022. Role: PI.
- CDA E7503W. VA Rehabilitation Research and Development Office, 2011-2018. Role: PI.
HFP 09-156_4. Health Sciences Research and Development Office, 2013. Role: PI.
- XVA 950022. National Center for Patient Safety, 2010-2011. Role: PI.
Honors and Awards
- Outstanding Performance at the Department of Veterans Affairs, Michael J. Crescenz VA Medical Center, 2014-2017
- Outstanding Performance at the Department of Veterans Affairs, James A. Haley VA Medical Center, Tampa, FL, 2012, 2013