Amy Lynn Cowperthwait, RN, MSN, ACNS-BC
Live Simulated Patient Educator
Adult Health Simulation Lab Coordinator
School of Nursing
105 McDowell Hall
Amy Cowperthwait is a clinical faculty member at the University of Delaware. Her current job title is Coordinator for the Adult Health Simulation Resource Center & Co-founder of Healthcare Theatre (HT). Healthcare Theatre is a world class program that trains simulated patients and family members for healthcare simulation education. This program, co-founded in 2009 by Amy and a colleague in the theatre department, offers a low-cost solution to SPs while providing an educational experience for all involved in the simulation experience.
- University of Delaware 1987 BSN
- Cooper Hospital University Medical Center Critical Care Internship 1989
- Cowperthwait, A., Saylor, J., Carlsen, A., Schmitt, L. A., Salam, T., Melby, M. K., & Baker, S. D. (2015). Healthcare theatre and simulation: Maximizing interprofessional partnerships. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, (accepted for publication) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2015.05.005.
- Cowperthwait, A. L., Campagnola, N., Doll, E. J., Downs, R. G., Hott, N. E., Kelly, S. C., Montoya, A.,Bucha, A. C., Wang, L., & Buckley, J. M. (2015). Tracheostomy overlay system: An effective learning device using standardized patients. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 11(5), 253-258. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2015.03.001.
- Diefenbeck, C., Herrman, J., Wade, G., Hayes, E., Voelmeck, W., Cowperthwait, A., & Norris, S. (2014) Preparedness for clinical: Evaluation of the core components of the Clinical Immersion Model. Journal of Professional Nursing, 31(2), 124-132.
- Cowperthwait, A., Saylor, J., Schell, K. (2013). Healthcare Theatre: A unique simulation partnership. Clinical Simulation in Nursing Journal, 1(2013): e6.
- Saylor, J., Wilson, M., Cowperthwait, A., Williston, S., Kirschner, K., & Matt, K. S. (2013). Stress during simulation: How are we addressing the barrier? Nurse Educator, in review.
- Saylor, J., Cowperthwait, A., & Rodriguez, C. (2013). Transferring simulation into clinical practice: A psychosocial nursing exemplar. In Capputi, L (Ed.), Innovations in Nursing Education: Building the Future of Nursing(159-164). Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer,
- State of Delaware. Health care workforce learning/re-learning (PI Kathleen Matt), 2016.
- Translational Research: Comparing bedside stress resilience of undergraduate nursing students and novice nurses using 2 different educational andragogy, 2016.
- State of Delaware/ Delaware Biotechnology Institute grant. Building a Pipeline of Simulation Technology, 2015.
- University of Delaware Center for Teaching and Assessment of Learning (CTAL) and IT Academic Technology Services (ATS). “Integrating Technology and Healthcare Theatre Program to Transform Education in the Classroom”. (PI [CO-Is: Judith Herrman, Karen Avino, Dave Edwards, Amy Cowperthwait, & Allan Carlsen]), 2013.
Honors and Awards
- First Inaugural INACSL Hayden Vanguard Lectureship Award, 2016
- Medical Devices Design Competition, 1st Place, 2015
- NLN Simulation Leadership Program, 2014
- SSIH 1st Place technology Innovation- Avtrach, 2014