Greetings! This website is created for the purpose to educate students at the University of Delaware campus on the basics to the religion of Islam.
Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in the world. With billions of followers around the world today, Islam is the second largest religion worldwide. The word Islam means voluntary “Submission” or “Surrender” to the Will of God. It derives from the root word “salam,” meaning peace. The followers of the religion of Islam are named Muslims. Muslim means “anyone or anything that surrenders itself to the true will of God”. By this definition, everything in nature (trees, animals, planets, etc.) are “Muslims” because they are in a state of surrender to God’s will. In other words, they are fulfilling the purpose for which God created them. In the Quran, God defines that the only purpose for which He created mankind is to Worship Him. Islam recognizes that humankind has free choice in whether to obey or disobey God, but ultimately we will be held accountable to God in the next life for the choices that we make in this life.
Islam is a natural way of life that encourages one to give due attention to their relationship with God and His creation. Islam teaches that it is through the doing of good deeds and seeking the pleasure of God that souls find true happiness and peace. While the fundamentals of the religion is based on the idea of peace, this is not how Islam is seen today.
The Muslim Student Association at the University of Delaware strives to show other people on campus the true side of Islam. Here are some details about the Muslim Student Association:
- The UD Muslim Student Association is a student run organization that joins together on the basis of faith to strengthen and unite ourselves as well as spreading knowledge and eradicating ignorance about Islam within the University.
- The Muslim Student Association holds various types of events such as religious discussions, sports tournaments, banquets, as well as inviting speakers and other organizations to explore our university and network with other Muslims across the country to address issues involving Islam.
- The main purpose for this organization is to present the genuine teachings of Islam, in effort to get rid of the misconceptions that have currently become wide spread in our society.
- We strive to promote interfaith conversations and understandings, and to deepen personal connections among people of different religions.
- Last but certainly not least, we want to unite with other faiths to make a positive change in the world.