The Trail of Tears was a horrific event in the history of the United States of America, so understandably it is difficult to teach, especially to a younger audience. Here are a selection of lesson plans, activities, and a documentary, that can help in planning a classroom discussion of the Trail of Tears.
- Discover the Trail of Tears: A Lightning Lesson from Teaching with Historic Places
- A lesson plan from the National Park Service, that demonstrates an excellent way to teach a class about the Trail of Tears.
- Trail of Tears Curriculum Guide
- A curriculum created by people at the University of Arkansas Little Rock, that shows how a teacher could apply the Trail of Tears to lessons in multiple subjects.
- The Trail of Tears for Kids
- A website that gives an overview of the Trail of Tears in a manner that is easy for children to digest.
- Trail of Tears Activity
- This a classroom activity aimed at high schoolers, for them to come to a better understanding of the Trail of Tears.
- Trail of Tears
- This is one episode of a PBS documentary about Native Americans. This episode is solely focused on the Trail of Tears and provides a lot of information on the topic.
Connor Keefe 2020