Questions about Characters
- How does Nadia’s femininity relate to her sexuality?
- How is Nadia punished by for being independent?
- Why does Saeed resent the Nigerians?
- What sacrifices did Saeed’s father make for him before Saeed and Nadia left their country?
- Did Nadia fulfill her promise to Saeed’s father?
- What happened to Saeed’s mother, and how did it affect Saeed and Nadia’s courtship?
Questions about Symbols
- What does Nadia’s robe represent for her compared to strangers?
- Why are the doors significant in this story? What role do the play for the characters?
Questions about Migration
- Why does the author refer to citizens as “natives”?
- Whom would the author consider to be a migrant?
Questions about Terrorism
- How did Saeed and Nadia adjust to the massacre of their home city?
- How do Saeed and Nadia’s views on extremist groups vary by the time they lived in London?
Questions about Relationships
- How did Saeed and Nadia’s relationship that of Saeed’s parents?
- Why did Saeed begin to resent Nadia when they moved to London?
- What factors were most important to the status of Saeed and Nadia’s relationship?
- Why doesn’t Saeed’s father stay with his son?
Hunter Southall ’19