Research computing regularly schedules and coordinates GIS workshops with the UD Library, Delaware Geological Survey (DGS), Esri, etc for members of the UD community who wish to learn more about a particular aspect of GIS. If you have topics that you would like to be presented in the GIS Workshops series, submit your ideas to email@example.com.
The Fall 2021 workshops
Getting Started with ArcGIS Online.
Wed., September 22, 2-3:30 p.m.
Using the cloud-based ArcGIS Online, learn how to make a map online and add data to it. You will also delve into the topic of data layers and explore how cartographic principles can apply to data representation.
Creating and Sharing Your Data with ArcGIS Online Story Maps.
Wed., September 29, 2-3:30 p.m.
Discover how to present data and selected multimedia in a user-friendly geographical context. You will learn how to create a multifaceted map by combining maps with images, text and other multimedia, and how to link multimedia files to their geographic coordinates.
Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro.
Wed., October 6, 2-3:30 p.m.
Meet the future of geographic information systems (GIS): ArcGIS Pro. During this workshop, get familiar with GIS concepts by exploring how you can search, analyze, edit and share maps and data in ArcGIS Pro.
- Getting started with ArcGIS Pro
- Getting Started with ArcGIS Online
- Digital Scholarship Method Series: Introduction to Data Collection
- Creating and Sharing Your Data with ArcGIS Online Story Maps
- Researching and Exporting Data with PolicyMap
UD-GIS Community Group
The UD-GIS community group has taken different forms at different times, according to community involvement. If you are interested in participating in a UD-GIS meet up, please join UD-GIS Google Group.
The University of Delaware maintains a site license with Esri, the makers of ArcGIS. As part of this site license, UD faculty/staff/grant supported student that pay for an Esri license and any UD student may take any GIS technology classes at Esri e-Learning at no cost. These courses are a great way to get started with GIS or learn a new aspect of ArcGIS or even general GIS fundamentals. Send a request to askIT@udel.edu if you would like access to Esri e-learning. (If you are requesting for a UD course the email should include a list of UDel email addresses for all students in the class.)
A number of departments at UD offer courses focused on or touching on geospatial knowledge.
- Introduction to GIS (GEOG372)
- GIS in Natural Resource Management (APEC480)
- Geographic Information Systems and Science (GEOG670)
- Advanced GIS (GEOG471/671)
GIS Topics Classes
- Select Technical Topics: Python Scripting, LIDAR & Hyperspectral, etc. (GEOG473)
Classes Where GIS is Applied
GIS LearnIT Express Sessions
These quick videos highlight a particular technology or technique, to fast forward your learning
- A Brief Introduction to Story Maps A teaching assistant talks about how he taught his English class to use location based data to tell stories with maps on the ArcGIS Online cloud-based platform
- ArcGIS on Mills Installation and use of ArcGIS on UD’s Mills Community Cluster
- GIS: Map Action! Highlights 3 departments at UD, covering administration, teaching, and research, using GIS
- Registering with the UD Subscription and Adding a Map to ArcGIS Online
- Google Fusion Tables
- Installing and Licensing Geospatial Software: ArcGIS, ENVI, and ERDAS IMAGINE
- Using IDL on Mills Using the popular interactive scientific visualization language on UD’s high performance community cluster