Research computing regularly schedules and coordinates GIS workshops with the UD Library, Delaware Geological Survey (DGS), Esri, etc for members of the UD community who wish to learn more about a particular aspect of GIS. If you have topics that you would like to be presented in the GIS Workshops series, submit your ideas to email@example.com.
All Fall semester workshops are complete—check back in early February for the Spring workshop lineup.
- Basics of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Getting started with ArcGIS Pro
- Getting Started with ArcGIS Online
- Creating and Sharing Your Data with ArcGIS Online Story Maps
- Researching and Exporting Data with PolicyMap
- Digital Scholarship Method Series: Introduction to Data Collection
UD-GIS Community Group
The UD-GIS community group has taken different forms at different times, according to community involvement. If you are interested in participating in a UD-GIS meet up, please join UD-GIS Google Group.
The University of Delaware maintains a site license with Esri, the makers of ArcGIS. As part of this site license, UD faculty/staff/grant supported student that pay for an Esri license and any UD student may take any GIS technology classes at Esri e-Learning at no cost. These courses are a great way to get started with GIS or learn a new aspect of ArcGIS or even general GIS fundamentals. Send a request to askIT@udel.edu if you would like access to Esri e-learning. (If you are requesting for a UD course the email should include a list of UDel email addresses for all students in the class.)
A number of departments at UD offer courses focused on or touching on geospatial knowledge.
- Introduction to GIS (GEOG372)
- GIS in Natural Resource Management (APEC480)
- Geographic Information Systems and Science (GEOG670)
- Advanced GIS (GEOG471/671)
GIS Topics Classes
- Select Technical Topics: Python Scripting, LIDAR & Hyperspectral, etc. (GEOG473)
Classes Where GIS is Applied
GIS LearnIT Express Sessions
These quick videos highlight a particular technology or technique, to fast forward your learning
- Creating and Sharing Your Data with ArcGIS Online Story Maps Discover how to present data and selected multimedia in a user-friendly geographical context. You will learn how to create a multifaceted map by combining maps with images, text and other multimedia, and how to link multimedia files to their geographic coordinates.