Research computing regularly schedules and coordinates GIS workshops with the UD Library, Delaware Geological Survey (DGS), Esri, etc for members of the UD community who wish to learn more about a particular aspect of GIS.
SPRING 2021 WORKSHOPS
Getting Started with ArcGIS Online
Wed, March 3, 2021 2:00-3:30PM
Via ZoomDetails and registration https://library.udel.edu/events/events/?id=341
Getting Started with ArcGIS StoryMapsMarch 10, 2021
Details and registration https://library.udel.edu/events/events/?id=346
Getting Started with ArcGIS ProWed, March 17, 2021
Details and registration https://library.udel.edu/events/events/?id=349
If you have topics that you would like to be presented in the GIS Workshops series, submit your ideas to email@example.com.
The Fall 2020 workshops (below) have been taught:
- Researching and Exporting Data with PolicyMap.
- Getting Started with ArcGIS Online.
- Getting Started with ArcGIS StoryMaps.
- Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro.
- Getting started with ArcGIS Pro
- Getting Started with ArcGIS Online
- Digital Scholarship Method Series: Introduction to Data Collection
- Creating and Sharing Your Data with ArcGIS Online Story Maps
- Researching and Exporting Data with PolicyMap
UD-GIS Community Group
The UD-GIS community group has taken different forms at different times, according to community involvement. If you are interested in participating in a UD-GIS meet up, please join UD-GIS Google Group.
The University of Delaware maintains a site license with Esri, the makers of ArcGIS. As part of this site license, UD faculty/staff/grant supported student that pay for an Esri license and any UD student may take any GIS technology classes at Esri e-Learning at no cost. These courses are a great way to get started with GIS or learn a new aspect of ArcGIS or even general GIS fundamentals. Send a request to askIT@udel.edu if you would like access to Esri e-learning. (If you are requesting for a UD course the email should include a list of UDel email addresses for all students in the class.)
A number of departments at UD offer courses focused on or touching on geospatial knowledge.
- Introduction to GIS (GEOG372)
- GIS in Natural Resource Management (APEC480)
- Geographic Information Systems and Science (GEOG670)
- Advanced GIS (GEOG471/671)
GIS Topics Classes
- Select Technical Topics: Python Scripting, LIDAR & Hyperspectral, etc. (GEOG473)
Classes Where GIS is Applied
GIS LearnIT Express Sessions
These quick videos highlight a particular technology or technique, to fast forward your learning
- A Brief Introduction to Story Maps A teaching assistant talks about how he taught his English class to use location based data to tell stories with maps on the ArcGIS Online cloud-based platform
- ArcGIS on Mills Installation and use of ArcGIS on UD’s Mills Community Cluster
- GIS: Map Action! Highlights 3 departments at UD, covering administration, teaching, and research, using GIS
- Registering with the UD Subscription and Adding a Map to ArcGIS Online
- Google Fusion Tables
- Installing and Licensing Geospatial Software: ArcGIS, ENVI, and ERDAS IMAGINE
- Using IDL on Mills Using the popular interactive scientific visualization language on UD’s high performance community cluster