As Honors students, we have very easy access to most of the food on campus. The Caesar Rodney and Russell dining halls are extremely close to Redding, as is Perkins and the Harrington POD. Even Pencader is less than a fifteen-minute bus ride if your tastes vary in that direction. Our dining plans make it easy to access all these different options, whether that’s through regular meals, meal exchanges, points, or Flex. 

I’m partial to the 175 meal block plan, but I know everyone has their preferences, and I wanted to figure out what they are. I interviewed a few Honors students to get the inside scoop. 

What’s your name?

• Abbie
  • Mitchell
  • Faith
  • Lawson
  • Amanda
  • Katie

What meal plan is your favorite, and would you recommend it to others?

• A: The 175 because it gives you more options.
  • M: Unlimited. Don’t eat on Main when you have the dining hall.
  • F, laughing: Honestly, I don’t know. It’s only been a month.
  • L: I have unlimited with less points, but that’s the only one I’ve tried.
  • Am: Unlimited, but I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone—only people who like to eat breakfast.
  • K: I like the 175 swipes and 500 points because you can use points pretty freely but still have a good amount of dining hall meals.

Favorite unknown or unconventional food preference?

• A: A rootbeer float
  • M: Cheese and apple pie
  • F: Fluffernutter sandwich or spumoni ice cream
  • L: The hummus here with anything
  • Am: Oatmeal + strawberry purée stuff from waffle station + peanut butter + blueberries + banana + a lot of cinnamon
  • K: Mixing mayo with ketchup and then dipping my fries in

Favorite meal ever?

• A: Vegan mac and cheese
  • F: Pad thai
  • L, laughing: Raviolis or sweet potatoes, but not together.
  • Am: Vegan beef burrito, or occasionally the falafel when it’s really good.
  • K: Pasta with rose sauce

Any weird preferences (food related or not)?

• A: Mountain Dew with every meal.
  • M: Good music playing while I eat.
  • F: If it has vinegar, I won’t eat it.
  • K: If different types of food touch, I freak out.

Overall, Honors students are happy with the dining halls here on campus. Most of those surveyed liked the unlimited plan better than the others, but I know there are a lot of other people who choose the 175 meal block plan, like Abbie, Katie, and me. It definitely depends on the person and how much you eat at each place.

The dining halls do a lot to make the students happy and, recently, they’ve been doing even more than usual to help keep us all healthy. In the last few days, I’m sure you’ve all noticed the lack of self-serve elements and the blocking off of parts of the Caesar Rodney dining hall. I even remember a nice employee standing at the entrance encouraging us to all use hand sanitizer before we came inside, which was very nice of her. I know I sometimes forget the hand sanitizer is there.

All in all, the food services here on campus go above and beyond to help us receive the food we want as easily as possible.

Image source: https://jeffreysauers.photoshelter.com/image/I0000dRYtQSuliLM