Study Spots – As Told By My Friends by Sarah Blum

It’s my second year at UD, and for the most part I feel like I have assimilated to college life pretty well. However, the one thing I still find myself struggling with is figuring out where to study. In my search for the perfect study-space (if such a thing exists) I have compiled a list of my friends’ favorite places to study.

1. The ISE Lab

I’ve known for quite some time now of my roommate Julia’s affection for the ISE lab. Still, I asked her where she likes to study most, and she confirmed my hunch. She went on to tell me that the atmosphere of the ISE lab puts her in a good headspace for studying. Julia always sits on the first floor and tries her best to be against a wall and not a window because she gets too distracted. However, because I know Julia well, I can confidently say that it’s not just the modern architecture that draws her to the ISE lab – it’s Einstein Bagels.

2. Brewed Awakenings

When my friend Ryan told me this was his favorite place to study, it didn’t surprise me too much. I’m pretty sure even if I didn’t know Ryan personally, my guess would be any coffee shop – he gives off coffee shop vibes. Vibes or no vibes, Ryan assured me that Brewed Awakenings provides the perfect atmosphere for even the most hardcore studying due to their spacious tables, aesthetically pleasing lighting, and friendly staff. Also, I can vouch that the coffee is pretty good.

3. Morris

I was enthralled when math genius David Milliken shared with me their secret study spot. Although they are partial to their dorm room, David expressed that the second floor of the library gets the perfect amount of sunlight to stimulate those brain cells. David also pointed out that if you enjoy the sun from inside the library, you don’t have to deal with actual nature.

My friend Nicole also expressed that the library is her go-to place to get to work. She said that she needs to be sitting at one of the desks in the back of the library so that she’s just staring at a wall and nothing can distract her. The thought of staring at a wall in the library all day makes my whole body tense up, but if it works for Nicole, it might work for you, too.  

4. Dorm lounges

Somehow, my friend Eric was blessed with a dorm room in Caesar Rodney this year. Though it is somewhat exclusive, I decided to add his contribution because I figured his favorite space might apply to someone else who lives in CR, or someone who has a lucky friend that lives there like I do. Eric told me that his favorite quiet study lounge in the building is one that overlooks a set of stairs and the laundry room, so he can watch people come and go. If you don’t have access to CR, maybe you can find a similar space in your own dorm- or else, just be salty with the rest of us.

My friend Paula has also found a lounge in her dorm, Harter, where she likes to study. Although it is not as impressive as a CR lounge, she said that the Harter lounge provides easy access to other people who she can ask for homework help. It can get a little distracting in there, though. In these more desperate times, she retreats to the third floor of the library.

5. Starbucks

If you’ve ever ventured into the Starbucks on Main Street on a weekend afternoon, you know that it can be somewhat chaotic. If you go at the right time, though, my friend Tyler informed me that Starbucks can be the perfect place to hit the books. I joined him recently in one of his Starbucks visits just to observe, and I found out that the air conditioning in there, clocking in at exactly 1 Kelvin, is the coldest thing on Earth. Despite the frigid temperatures, every weekend Tyler sits at the bar with a Venti vanilla iced coffee (and sometimes a spinach feta wrap) and dives into his never-ending physics homework.

6. The Perkins basement

I know I said I’m still not sure what my favorite study spot is, but for now, I find that the basement of Perkins is usually a safe bet if you get there early. I get myself an iced coffee using my dwindling amount of points before venturing down the steps and hopefully finding an empty booth. I find that these booths provide just the right amount of people watching while still being somewhat closed off from the rest of the world. Until I find somewhere else I like just as much, this will remain my top choice.

1 Comment

1. haha that Ryan fella sounds like a real character

© 2024

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑

Skip to toolbar