Now that the second semester has started, people have begun the search for summer jobs. I’ve already submitted a couple applications myself–one to a resort in Cape Cod and another to an ice cream shop in my hometown. With either job, I’ll make a suitable amount of money to last me for another year whilst I enjoy the sweet repose that summer has to offer. No academics, minimal commitments, sunshine, beach sports, books, hammocks, shorts and sandals, and the vivacity of a slight sunburn.

In a sense, summer is like childhood: a time when worries fade and playfulness is brought to the forefront. And like summer, childhood eventually ends. In fact, every day I spend working towards graduation pushes the memory of early-life further away. Soon, I will be an adult, working a real job in the real world with real responsibilities.

I know some people who are so excited to start this chapter of their life that they are already pursuing an internship or research for over the summer. Don’t get me wrong, I support these people. I understand the importance of building a resume and gaining skills. Nevertheless, I think that freshman year is too early. I’m sure individuals can still have significant leisure with research or an internship, but they give up a lot of freedom. They give up choosing their own hours; they give up taking days off for spontaneous trips; they give up working predominantly with people their own age; and they give up a large amount of time with with their family and friends.

I see many University of Delaware students, especially those in Honors, ready to make the sacrifice. That shows character, confidence and vision. But what they don’t see is that they have the rest of their lives to do that. School systems have put immense pressure on our generation to start adulthood early. They say getting a legitimate job as soon as possible will pave the way to success. What if, though, doing so actually stifles success? Instead of jumping into a cubicle, what if exploring life’s options better prepares students for the future?

Last year, Barack Obama announced that his daughter, Malia, will be taking a gap year before attending Harvard in the Fall. Indeed, Harvard encourages gap years, saying they give students the necessary time to rest their brains and develop emotionally before college. Malia will join a long line of successful people who also took gap years before college–Hugh Jackman, J.K. Rowling, and Benedict Cumberbatch to name a few. Alas, that ship has sailed for us since we’re already here at UD. But if we, freshman, treat this upcoming summer like a mini gap year, maybe we will tap into some of the benefits before it’s too late.