Some mornings, I can’t get out of bed. Not because I’m depressed or because I have two broken legs or because overnight my roommate decided to glue the side of my face to my pillow. It’s because my bed is magical, a place of little cares and utter comfort, a haven of turquoise sheets and throw pillows and the compounding effects of two (yes, two) mattress pads of down feathers and memory foam, a structure of cheap residence-hall-issued wood and dreams.
Life forces me to rise from this mythical place of REM and happiness. Recently however, the utter grogginess and despair I feel in my soul upon hearing an alarm clock has been somewhat lessened by the most basic and obvious auditory stimulation: music.
I never used to do music in the morning. I liked to occasionally listen to NPR, starting my day with a quick update on the tragedies of the world. Oddly enough, the voice of Robert Seagull didn’t inspire me to wake up and initiate my day on a peppy note. Last week however, my suitemate and I happened to be getting ready at the same time. She did something radical. She blasted Pandora Show tunes at 8:00 am.
It was incredible. My day was absolutely fantastic. So in the midst of what is likely a horrific academic week, a week where you and your bed may be going through a rough patch in your relationship (my bed and I certainly are), I have compiled a list of the five most game changing, life altering songs to start your day with.
5. Sir Duke- Stevie Wonder (because there are few things better than some old school Stevie to get you jazzed about the next 16 hours)
4. Gold Digger- Kanye West (because some mornings you just need to feel like a boss and Kanye was fantastic before he started naming babies after cardinal directions)
3. Defying Gravity- Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth (because all you are doing is going to class and actually attempting to defy gravity would be far more difficult)
2. Good Day- Nappy Roots (because the title says it all)
1. Come on Eileen- Dexys Midnight Runners (because although I have no idea who Eileen is, her name never fails to put in me in better spirits)
Ashley Dayne BostwickAshley Dayne Bostwick
- Nights at the Theatre by Amanda Langell - May 9, 2016
- How to Watch the Sunset by Gillian Zucker - April 13, 2016
- Villanova’s Upset: The Magic of Sports by Amanda Langell - April 11, 2016