I’ll be completely honest. Delaware was never my first choice. I have lived in Delaware since I was seven years old and I never imagined that I would end up going to the University of Delaware. In fact, it was the last place I wanted to go because everyone I knew from high school would be going here.

I wanted to be an editor for a top magazine in New York City and only a college with a journalism program was the gateway to my dreams. I only toured one school (not UD) and after a tour of the campus I was even more in love with the university, and bought a hoodie and T-shirt to prove that I was going there. I even committed to the school, sending in a down payment of $500.

Sadly, much like Victoria’s story, the issue came down to cost, and we just weren’t able to afford it. I was absolutely devastated at first, but as soon as I told my best friends that I would be staying in Delaware, they couldn’t contain their excitement.

I remember my Honors orientation day like it were yesterday – it was extremely hot out. I got my picture taken to go on a cool ID (they were new designs my freshman year), and I met some really cool kids who I still see on campus to this day. I knew after that day that things might be all right at Delaware. Plus, you could say going to school near home had its perks. I could do laundry for free, go see my family whenever I wanted, and I was one of the only people with a car.

My best friends from high school and me at our first UD game as students.

After being here for about a year, I realized how lucky I was that things didn’t work out with my dream school. I had a great roommate (who I am still good friends with today), I found a place in the best organization (PRSSA) and I had a home in the perfect major (Communication). For all of those new Blue Hens who are from the First State, remember that you’ve really always been a Blue Hen at heart; you just have to find what means the most to you here at UD.

What I learned from all of this was that things do happen for a reason. Even if it wasn’t the place I wanted to go originally, it is by far the ONLY place for me. I found a home at Delaware. The sense of pride that you feel each day (especially the first day of your senior year) is absolutely overwhelming. You may not feel like a Blue Hen at first – it takes time to find your place at such a big university! However, when you do you’ll know it’s such a great place to be…and you’ll never want to leave!

Cheers to whatever year you’re in. Extra cheers to the seniors like me. Never say the “G word.”

Chelsey Rodowicz