HVSA: Honors Varsity Student Association
A community seeking to connect and equip Honors Varsity Athletes by promoting member-led social events, attending sports competitions, assisting with Honors athlete recruitment, and helping student-athletes persist to an Honors Degree. We also seek to recognize and celebrate Honors athlete success in academics and collegiate competitions.
Honors Varsity Athletes are not only high-achieving students, but they are committed to their team and performing at a high level in their sport. Balancing these two commitments can be daunting, especially in the first year. So HVSA was created by student athletes Scott Sampson ’23 (men’s soccer) and Carolyn Coletti ’24 (track and field) in Fall 2021. Through social events and attending sport competitions, Honors student athletes are developing camaraderie between teams and class years. It’s also a supportive community of students balancing Honors and athletic commitments.
Our Purpose: P.U.L.S.E.
- PREPARE: offer the special mix of Honors and Athletic resources so honors athletes don’t have to figure things out on their own
- UNITE: bring together a community of honors athletes who face unique challenges, and provide a support network to help them navigate those challenges
- LEAD: develop the next generation of athletic and academic community leadership
- SUPPORT: create a safe space for talking about the struggles of balancing academic and athletic workload and share success stories
- EXCELLENCE: provide resources that will assist athletes to graduate with Honors Degrees and achieve academic excellence
HVSA is a very unique group of student athletes that constantly push the boundaries of athletics, academics, and beyond. Being in HVSA has taught me to utilize resources – you will never have another time in your life when there are so many people committed to seeing you succeed, so take advantage of it!