On the trails of UD’s campus or in the residence halls, trail mix can be any nutritious mix of mess-free snacks. Recommended ingredients to stock up on include:
– plastic sandwich bags or reusable containers
– measuring cup for making 1/4 or 1/3 cup servings
– nuts (especially walnuts and almonds)
– dried fruit with no sugar added
– pretzels or crackers
– fiber-rich and low-sugar cereals (Kashi GoLean, Total, Cheerios, All-Bran, etc)
Cut-up vegetables or fruit
Veggies are very healthy and low-calorie, so there is no strict limit on serving size. Fruit can be heavy in natural sugar, so try to strike a balance between the two. Great options include:
– grape tomatoes
Make your veggie snack more filling with a portable container of protein-rich hummus.
Crackers, Crisps and Crunch
Soy crisps, available at Trabant and other local markets, are a good option for satisfying crunch as are crackers spread with peanut butter and light, no-butter-added microwave popcorn.